Steam Cooking Vegetables in Table-top Oven?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jewel

Assistant Cook
Does anyone know of a good way to steam cook vegetables in a normal oven? I steam cook my veg at the moment, I think that it's healthier and prefer the taste, but I will be losing the use of my cooker for a few weeks in the near future. I have a table top conventional oven which I will be using in the mean time and wondered if there might be a way to steam using this.

Thanks,
Jewel

Hi, Jewel. I would suggest using a regular saucepan with a steamer basket on top of the stove. Just put an inch of water in the saucepan, put the basket in, bring it to a boil, put the veggies in, then turn down the heat and steam until done.

I'm not sure what you mean by a "tabletop conventional oven." Can you explain more? Do you have a regular with an oven, or something else?

Hope this helps.

Hello, thanks for your replies.

I would usually use the stove and a steamer to steam the veg but the point is that I will not have access to my kitchen for a few weeks. I don't have a microwave but have something similar to this (basically a small, table-top oven). That's why I was hoping there might be a way to steam using an oven.

Don't know where you live Jewel (you didn't fill in that info in your profile) but one option might be to purchase a 1 or 2 burner hot plate. They are generally inexpensive where I live in Texas - ranging from about $20-$40 for the electric models. And, I've saved a lot of money using them to cook in my motel room when my company had me out on 1-3 month projects. This way you would have a 1 or 2 burner "cooker" while your kitchen is out of commission.

A table-top oven is going to be a challenge for "steaming" because of it's size. But, you could always braise (cook in an oven with a bit of water which will form steam in a sealed package or pan) or roast (dry cooking in an open pan - usually with a bit of oil to promote browning) your vegetables. Either of these methods are just about as healthy as steaming.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom