Pinoy food?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have one recipe that my Dad brought back from the Philippines...

Chicken Adobo
1 chicken cut up (I remove the skin these days)
1 large onion, cut up
5-12 cloves of garlic, chopped
1/2 cup of white vinegar
4-6 oz of Soy Sauce

Put the chicken pieces, onion and garlic in a pot just big enough
to hold them. Add vinegar and soy sauce.
Cover and heat to boiling; reduce heat and simmer for 45 minutes or
until meat is very tender. Add some water if the chicken doesn't make
enough juice to cover itself. Also add 1/4 cup more vinegar and some Soy,
if needed.

Serve over white rice.

Dunno if it is authentic, but it is good!

No, it's not authenic, but it's close. Of course, if you ask 50 Pilipinos how to make any traditional dish, you'll get at least 45 different answers.

For your recipe, add 2 Tbs of cooking oil to the list of ingredients, and use it to sauté the chicken pieces, onion, and garlic until chicken is brown on both sides before you add the liquids and cook it down.

I would also add 1 tsp crushed red pepper, cut the quantity of soy sauce in half, increase the vinegar to 1 cup, and combine it with 1/2 cup water, but that's just me.

Oh, and Pilipinos never serve their food over rice. That's the Chinese. Pilipinos put the rice on the side, and then flavor it with the sauce from the Adobo. Which reminds me, you can also add big chunks of pork butt to the pot to make it a combination chicken and pork adobo.

Last edited:
who told you this? You are somewhat correct. You are definitely right about the rice thing and that all filipinos has their own way of preparing and cooking adobo.

Hey Caine, thanks for the suggestions! I am going to try them next
time I make Dad's old favorite!

Hey Caine, thanks for the suggestions! I am going to try them next
time I make Dad's old favorite!

try my barbecue recipe.

Grilled Peppered Pork Belly

1 kg (2.2 lbs) Pork ribs or pork belly, sliced
¼ C Vegetable oil or olive oil
12 cloves Garlic, minced
1 ½ t and 2 T Freshly ground black pepper and crushed black pepper
½ T Rock salt
4 T-1 11/4 C Soy sauce
¼ C Calamansi juice (lemon or lime juice)
3 T Brown sugar
2 pcs Thai chili peppers, minced
2 T Banana ketchup (optional)

Procedures:

In a bowl, put in the meat together with the oil, half of the minced garlic, rock salt and crushed black pepper. Rub and massage the meat with the mixture using clean hands. When the meat is all covered with the rub, pour the soy sauce, calamansi juice, chili peppers and brown sugar. Continue massaging the meat. Tenderize it using a fork by poking through the meat. Soak each piece in the marinade. When all is done, add the ketchup and mix altogether. Refrigerate the meat either inside a plastic bag or a covered container. Do not freeze the meat. You could cook the meat with a pan griller, or with an old fashioned char-griller. When you are ready to grill the meat, use the marinade to marinate the meat while it is being grilled. Traditionally, in the Philippines, we use a banana leaf brush to marinate the meat to keep it tender, moist and juicy. Do not burn the meat. Burnt meat is carcinogenic. The meat is cooked once it is all brown not burnt on each side. Serve with the Green Mango Salad.

</SPAN>

Side dish:
Green Mango Salad

2 C Green mango, diced
1 ½ C Tomatoes, seeded and diced
¾ C Red onion, chopped
1 T Fish sauce (preferably, in Filipino cooking, it is Bagoong or Shrimp paste)

Combine altogether. Serve chilled or as it is. Works best with any grilled meat, fish, pork cracklings or eat as salad.

Back
Top Bottom