Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums

Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums (https://www.discusscooking.com/forums/)
-   Today's Menu (https://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f104/)
-   -   Whats for dinner, Wed October 1st? (https://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f104/whats-for-dinner-wed-october-1st-50714.html)

suziquzie 10-01-2008 11:45 AM

Whats for dinner, Wed October 1st?
 
Well, fall is falling here. Grey, 58 today is as high as we're getting.

I actually have a plan for once!
Beer can chicken in the oven, mashed taters and GRAVY!
I think I have some frozen green beans somewhere...

How about you?

jabbur 10-01-2008 11:49 AM

I'm by myself tonight and have a lasagne in the freezer I've been craving with garlic bread. If I cook it to eat around 7:30pm it will be okay for DH when he gets home at 8:00pm.

pdswife 10-01-2008 11:50 AM

We are going to a friends for dinner. He's one of the "GREAT" cooks!!!

I know he's making fish ( I'm sure it'll be a Persian recipe) not sure what else.

I'm bringing a pecan pie cake.

JillBurgh 10-01-2008 12:00 PM

Hi everybody!

That Pecan Pie Cake recipe looks yummy...

No dinner for me Tues/Wed/Thurs anymore, just an energy bar and Starbucks (can't resist Pumpkin Spice, but there is a new one: Salted Caramel Hot Chocolate, I'll hafta add a shot of 'spresso).

...First semester of grad school.. Dual degree.. full-time school/full-time work..:blink:

NO TIME FOR COOKING OR GROCERIES:sad::cry: Boo hooo. Never realized how much I love strolling down the grocery aisles, just me and my thoughts. Miss all y'all at DC too:in_love:

GotGarlic 10-01-2008 12:17 PM

Wow, Jill. Good luck - that's a heavy load.

It's Wednesday dinner out night - we're going to a place that serves Asian-inspired tapas. Each of us buys a few and we all share :smile:

*amy* 10-01-2008 01:07 PM

Oktoberfest dinner. Beef roulade smeared w mustard and wrapped up with bacon & onions, potato pancakes w sour cream & apple sauce, sauerkraut, baked maple apples with vanilla ice cream. The sides folks are bringing - brats, buns, beer & whatever else they wish to grill. It's gonna be about 100 deg again today so, looking forward to the grillin & chillin by the pool. Considered spaetzle & red potato sald, but think it might be too much starch.

GrantsKat 10-01-2008 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by *amy* (Post 696286)
Oktoberfest dinner. Beef roulade smeared w mustard and wrapped up with bacon & onions, potato pancakes w sour cream & apple sauce, sauerkraut, baked maple apples with vanilla ice cream. The sides folks are bringing - brats, buns, beer & whatever else they wish to grill. It's gonna be about 100 deg again today so, looking forward to the grillin & chillin by the pool. Considered spaetzle & red potato sald, but think it might be too much starch.


OMGoodness!! That is definitely going on my "to make" list for next week!! Maybe even this weekend:pig: yummy!!!

GrantsKat 10-01-2008 01:16 PM

Here ya go suz:wink:I was going to make beer butt chicken today, but with not feeling well I was leary about trying something new, so......
I have a chicken roasting in the oven with a "grilling blends" rub. Im making oven roasted zucchini & yellow squash which will have s & p, evoo, parm cheese & basil (dried:mad:)on them
Im either making mashed taters or double baked! If I have time later, Ill make GRK's oatmeal/banana cookies:pig:

suziquzie 10-01-2008 01:20 PM

sounds good GK!!
if I could stop chatting I would bake something!!!!
:)

bethzaring 10-01-2008 01:30 PM

left over pork chops and sweet potatoes

i've been raiding the garden, think we could have our first frost soon, just brought in a basket of tomatoes, so will also make

Tuscan Tomato and Bread Salad

LEFSElover 10-01-2008 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jabbur (Post 696216)
I'm by myself tonight and have a lasagne in the freezer I've been craving with garlic bread. If I cook it to eat around 7:30pm it will be okay for DH when he gets home at 8:00pm.

ooooooh, come join me...............since it's just me tonight,hubby's gone on a working trip to east coast, it'll be a simple and simply delicious salad, my favorite thing to eat on hot nights.
lemon vanilla iced tea along with.

you guys and your beer butt chicken. sheeesh! apparently I'm the only one allergic to beer in this joint ;(

roadfix 10-01-2008 01:46 PM

It's my turn to cook tonight. I've got some country style pork ribs defrosting. Easy recipe I snatched on-line.

babetoo 10-01-2008 01:59 PM

left over rib eye steak. going to slice it up and make a stir fry with plum sauce. did this last week with chicken and just loved it. :chef:

getoutamykitchen 10-01-2008 02:02 PM

Chicken Velvet Soup

David Cottrell 10-01-2008 02:26 PM

Cabbage rolls - Ukrainian Cabbage rolls, except I always cook them in chicken broth. What else I'm not sure. Noodles n something, that's why I'm here right now! :)

elaine l 10-01-2008 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suziquzie (Post 696212)
Well, fall is falling here. Grey, 58 today is as high as we're getting.

I actually have a plan for once!
Beer can chicken in the oven, mashed taters and GRAVY!
I think I have some frozen green beans somewhere...

How about you?

I guess I finally have to ask...what is beer can chicken?


For this family, I am "throwing" together a casserole with chicken, cheese, broccoli, pasta and stuffing top. The gang is so large I feel like I am cooking for a small army.

pacanis 10-01-2008 02:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by elaine l (Post 696402)
I guess I finally have to ask...what is beer can chicken?


For this family, I am "throwing" together a casserole with chicken, cheese, broccoli, pasta and stuffing top. The gang is so large I feel like I am cooking for a small army.

Just what it sounds like :smile: but you don't have to use beer. Typically cooked on a grill with indirect heat. You can by the little can rack at Walmart.
Here's one I did last week (I think it was) about 45 minutes into the cooking time.

Tonight I am having beef and barley soup, with garlic bread :smile:

elaine l 10-01-2008 02:58 PM

I still don't get the beer can part...:ermm::unsure::unsure:

pacanis 10-01-2008 03:04 PM

You plop the chicken down on the can, half filled with whatever you like. I like Dr Pepper. The juice bubbling away really makes the chicken moist.

elaine l 10-01-2008 03:15 PM

I must say that is a fine looking chicken that you made! I guess I will try it. Dr. Pepper? Interesting.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:10 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.