I think my sauerkraut is ready

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

abby

Assistant Cook
Today is 21 days since I started my sauerkraut. My husband & I agree it's ready. He is the one in the family that likes kraut. I do not want to pressure can it, but put it in frig. After putting in jars, do I pack the sauerkraut tightly & make sure it is covered with juice? I'm not sure how to finish this project. thanks to all of you who made this a success.
HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Today is 21 days since I started my sauerkraut. My husband & I agree it's ready. He is the one in the family that likes kraut. I do not want to pressure can it, but put it in frig. After putting in jars, do I pack the sauerkraut tightly & make sure it is covered with juice? I'm not sure how to finish this project. thanks to all of you who made this a success.
HAPPY NEW YEAR!

yes.

Abby: I recommend you look it up in "Joy of Cooking". It's the most definitive article on kraut I've seen. If you can't find it, let me know and I'll type it into the thread for you.

If you are not planning to eat it relatively soon, you can freeze the sauerkraut, otherwise just keep it in the crock or put in sealed jars in the refrigerator for short-term storage.

Back
Top Bottom