Falafels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Roll_Bones

Master Chef
I have read several recipes on making falafel's. Some call for canned chick peas and some call for dry, water soaked, uncooked chick peas.
Both are coarse ground of course.

I have a good handle on the seasonings and I might even kick mine up a bit.
But the chick peas themselves is my question.
I prefer the idea of soaked dried chick peas, but is soaking them sufficient? I guess if they were to be cooked, the falafel mix would be to smooth?
I am assuming uncooked, soaked from dried peas is the way to go.

I want to be able to deep fry them and serve them like Gyro's.
Stuffed inside pita bread, with lettuce, tomato, onion and cucumber dressing.
I will need a cucumber dressing also.

TIA........John

I'm sure someone else will be along to help with the falafel, but I LOVE tzatziki (cucumber and yogurt sauce) :yum: Here's my recipe, with a few variations from commenters: http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f76/tzatziki-greek-cucumber-and-yogurt-sauce-79903.html

Thanks for the recipe. It is just what I need.

Bumping this for RB. Personally, I like the convenience of canned beans, but there must be someone who soaks them.

My thinking is the canned beans will be to soft? The chick peas/beans need to be coarsely ground up.
I am concerned about the texture of canned after they are processed?
I guess that would be my issue as there is a pulse setting on my food processor!

Thanks GG. I hope I can get some ideas.

Edit: I should have searched the site. Here is what I found. http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f21/why-was-my-falafel-awful-32147.html

Last edited:
Of topic:
If you ever in Philadelphia and want to taste awesome falafel, go to downtown to Mama's Falafel. Oh, my gosh, that place made me a convert. I never liked falafal before. But theirs was so good. I wish I could go back.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom