2017 Edition - What are you baking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The May issue of the Sons of Norway's Viking magazine has a recipe for caramel slices from Lise Stenersen's book, Something Sweet. I can't find the recipe online. For fellow SON members, the May issue isn't online, yet.

Essentially, the bars/slices consist of three layers. The base is made of chopped almonds, baking powder, sugar and egg whites. The caramel layer consists of sugar, cream, butter, light corn syrup, salt. The chocolate layer is melted dark chocolate, some cream, and sprinkled with sea salt. I figure these should satisfy my Dad's sweet tooth. I am thinking of putting a layer of chocolate on top of the base, then making the caramel into salted caramel and topping the chocolate layer with some salted, chopped almonds to make this even more decadent. Maybe CakePost can find the recipe online somewhere (newspaper, magazine). I don't know what the Norwegian name would be...

I got the base done. I am just waiting or my Dad to get back from town with the heavy cream and dark chocolate. These supposedly keep for a week in the fridge...I'm betting they will be gone in 48 hours.

Last edited:
Made some cornbread using only cornmeal.
It was horrible.
Sorry it didn't work out for you. What is the recipe you used?

Uncle Bob gave me his cornbread recipe many years ago and it's delicious :yum: but he swore me to secrecy! If you ask him nicely, maybe he will share it with you [emoji2]

Sorry it didn't work out for you. What is the recipe you used?

Uncle Bob gave me his cornbread recipe many years ago and it's delicious :yum: but he swore me to secrecy! If you ask him nicely, maybe he will share it with you [emoji2]

You need to add flour with the cornmeal. And a little bit of sugar doesn't hurt either. Didn't you have a recipe to follow?

2 cups cornmeal
2 eggs
1 tbs baking soda
6 tbs butter
The goats next door loved it.

Dear Uncle Bob,
I'm a poor misplaced American living in the Philippines.
I miss many basic foods. I try to make as many things as I can but it's hit or miss getting recipes from the internet,
Please help.

I decided that today's bean soup would like a loaf of beer bread to play along. Used the recipe from the New York Times. Who needs Tastefully Simple?

Since I had the oven going, I also mixed up a Pillsbury pumpkin quick bread, adding golden raisins and chopped walnuts. It's going into the freezer for a couple of days since we have plenty of stuff in the breadbox right now. We'll enjoy it greatly with temps this weekend predicted to reach into the mid-70s or more. Won't be using the oven then!

The May issue of the Sons of Norway's Viking magazine has a recipe for caramel slices from Lise Stenersen's book, Something Sweet. I can't find the recipe online. For fellow SON members, the May issue isn't online, yet.

Essentially, the bars/slices consist of three layers. The base is made of chopped almonds, baking powder, sugar and egg whites. The caramel layer consists of sugar, cream, butter, light corn syrup, salt. The chocolate layer is melted dark chocolate, some cream, and sprinkled with sea salt. I figure these should satisfy my Dad's sweet tooth. I am thinking of putting a layer of chocolate on top of the base, then making the caramel into salted caramel and topping the chocolate layer with some salted, chopped almonds to make this even more decadent. Maybe CakePost can find the recipe online somewhere (newspaper, magazine). I don't know what the Norwegian name would be...

I got the base done. I am just waiting or my Dad to get back from town with the heavy cream and dark chocolate. These supposedly keep for a week in the fridge...I'm betting they will be gone in 48 hours.
I under-estimated how long the slices/bars would last--less then 24 hours. They were darned good, even though I only ate one. Super rich, so I cut the "slices' in 1" cubes.

Im baking with baking ammonia again, man that stinks but the brittle texture it leaves behind is worth it.

img_1509955_0_5bfaac8a8c9992198d55961d51707fa2.jpg

Strawberry cake, made with spongecake filled with vanilla custard, strawberry jam, strawberry meringue buttercream, strawberry sprinkles, strawberries.

I be honest, the strawberries are from Belgium and they are not the best, at least they had flavor and sent compared to the Spanish strawberries. Swedish are now green house grown ( very expensive) and it is a month or two before the outdoor and tasty ones comes.

I tried using my off set spatula and failed, but the back of a spoon worked better, The icing is made with dehydrated strawberry powder, since I am not rich, the cheap one taste good but a bit lumpy even after going through a grinder,

That is a beautiful cake, CakePoet. Homemade with love always tastes better than store bought, no matter what the flavor. :yum:

GG, I bet those kinda-healthy cookies would taste better with a few chocolate chips tossed in. ;) Your post reminded me that I want to make a batch of Kitchen Sink Cookies next week while I can still take advantage of the cool, damp "baking" weather.

GG, I bet those kinda-healthy cookies would taste better with a few chocolate chips tossed in. ;) Your post reminded me that I want to make a batch of Kitchen Sink Cookies next week while I can still take advantage of the cool, damp "baking" weather.

No doubt, but since I don't eat them and he's happy with them, no need to change it up! ;) [emoji38]

¨Cooking Goddess, not always, my mum would make birthday cake with apple sauce between the layers , vanilla custard and vanilla sponge smothered in whipped cream. How ever the cake was rubber and bouncy and so was the custard and not in a nice way, the apple sauce was yummy and the whipped cream was grainy and over whipped...

I didnt like home made cakes as kid at all, but ate to be polite. But she is the woman who can make bread that even goats refuses to eat.

What are you baking?

I'm trying a new recipe that I've fiddled around with abit.
Crushed Pineapple Coffee Cake
(DH has been asking for a baked good of some sort of weeks now)

We'll see has this comes out.
It's in the oven and just about ready to come out.

Last week I tried a Crushed Pineapple Upside Down Cake,
complete and utter FAIL!!
Funny though, just by the smell of the melted butter and brown sugar,
I knew it was all wrong. I should have trusted my nose,
stopped, and started over :ermm: oh well.

I baked some pretzel breadsticks to go with dinner tonight.

That sounds interesting. Do you put dry mustard in the dough? Is there salt on the outside? What do you serve them with or do you dip in a honey mustard or such as an appy? I have never made pretzels sorry for all the questions.

Last edited:
I'm trying a new recipe that I've fiddled around with abit.
Crushed Pineapple Coffee Cake
(DH has been asking for a baked good of some sort of weeks now)

We'll see has this comes out.
It's in the oven and just about ready to come out.

Last week I tried a Crushed Pineapple Upside Down Cake,
complete and utter FAIL!!
Funny though, just by the smell of the melted butter and brown sugar,
I knew it was all wrong. I should have trusted my nose,
stopped, and started over :ermm: oh well.

001.JPG

002.JPG

004.JPG

This came out BAD!
And yet again I knew better. A 9X13 pan bake for an hour, nope! AND my 9X13 is a dark colored pan, which means a baked good will come out dark, unless you a) lower the heat and b) bake for shorter than called for time.... :doh::angry::blink:
I know better!
I had originally wanted to make something entirely different but as I gathered my ingredients I realized I was missing one component, so I went for something new.
As I read over the recipe, I knew this was a bad idea, but I REALLY wanted some kind of cake...
:wacko:
there's always next time.

Back
Top Bottom