Achiote...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This is what I use:

42743-20046.jpg

My son went to the nearby ethnic store and found a bottle annatto seeds and bought some for me. So now I have some for the next pot of lentils. I hope I can powder them okay with my mini processor. I don't have a mortal and pestle or coffee grinder and don't want to buy one just for this.

My son went to the nearby ethnic store and found a bottle annatto seeds and bought some for me. So now I have some for the next pot of lentils. I hope I can powder them okay with my mini processor. I don't have a mortal and pestle or coffee grinder and don't want to buy one just for this.

You can most likely crack them a bit to help the process whacking them with a meat mallet or rolling pin...seal them in a ziplock first:LOL:

I find that you get lots of holes in the plastic bag that way. But, it still keeps seeds from flying every which way.

You don't have to powder the seeds. To extract the flavor and color, you can simmer them in some of the liquid you're using for a recipe then strain the seeds out and use the liquid.

PF and taxlady, I did think about my meat mallet. It has a smooth side which might work. Thanks for the tip Andy, that sounds easy enough to get some into the liquid.

PF and taxlady, I did think about my meat mallet. It has a smooth side which might work. Thanks for the tip Andy, that sounds easy enough to get some into the liquid.

I think any problem can be fixed with a mallet...:rolleyes:

You don't have to powder the seeds. To extract the flavor and color, you can simmer them in some of the liquid you're using for a recipe then strain the seeds out and use the liquid.

Yes. You don't even want to try powdering them.

You don't want the pieces on your final dish.

Extract the color in oil or cooking water and remove.

I find that you get lots of holes in the plastic bag that way. But, it still keeps seeds from flying every which way.
I find putting a tea towel over the bag helps. And, I do not regret having not one but two coffee mills for grinding spices. I use them a lot. I picked mine up at thrift stores for about 2 bucks each. To clean, I grind white rice in them.

Last edited:
...coffee mills for grinding spices. I use them a lot. I picked mine up at thrift stores for about 2 bucks each. To clean, I grind white rice in them.

Me too. Saturday I was doing mise en plas for SO's making paklava when I discovered we had no ground cinnamon. Out came the grinder and some cinnamon sticks. Viola! Ground cinnamon.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom