Any reason to use lard instead of other oils.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
For some things, lard is essential if you want it taste right. An example is piadina, an Italian flatbread from the Emilia-Romagna region. It's wonderful and pretty easy to make. You can make it with olive oil, but if you want it taste authentic, you must have lard. You can make biscuits and pie dough with butter instead of lard, but the difference in flavor is immediately noticeable. I will make this point, though: if you plan to buy and use lard, buy the smallest amount you can. It doesn't keep very long.
I assume that it can be frozen

Compared with polyunsaturated oils, lard won't create as many free radicals at higher cooking temperatures.
53373614620_202acb412f_n.jpg

:LOL: Not something I would suggest you do. I do strain it and keep bacon fat in a container in the fridge for times where I want a bacon flavor.

I make a bean dish where I saute onion and garlic in bacon fat, add chopped rosemary then smoked whole plum tomatoes and let that breakdown for a few minutes, add a little white wine and reduce that then add white beans and simmer and I'll smash about a 1/3 for added texture. For vegetarian ghee or butter works well and for vegan, extra virgin olive oil.

Last edited:
LOL, too late! That's a family tradition or was. I don't do it often but once in awhile.
I related a story some time ago about my mother always calling bacon fried bread "French Toast"
I realized years later, of course, that it wasn't, that she had been joking all along with a little quirky 'I've got a secret' smile - she knew the difference.
As kids, we used to fight to be in line for it - and with 5 siblings jockeying for first serve, the anticipation was intense.

Yeah, the economy in general at that time, food security and coming from a time where the world just got through 2 world wars in the span of 25 years a little extra flavor with a few extra calories would be considered a luxury or a treat, no doubt. French toast :D I like that.

Confit is another way to use natural fats and preserve meat and veg which for meat is generally cooked under a lower heat in it's own fat like duck legs in duck fat, which I do and also use duck fat for whole rabbit that is part of a pasta dish. I confit carrots in extra virgin olive oil as well as garlic and tomato. The garlic and tomato I generally use for salads, antipasto, pasta's and added to roasted vegetable medleys as a textural component, the carrots, well Ed Taylor a local organic farmer has been bringing me heirloom carrots of all shapes, sizes and colours and there really isn't anything like a confit carrot, sublime. :)

Now that you've got me drooling, you are going to have to post your methods.
Could you do them separately? Or maybe just one thread titled Confit?
I've got duck fat (purchased eons ago) and keep intending to do the legs, but somehow just never do.
We have rabbits and even though they are domestic, we mostly stew them - I'm always looking for new ways with them.
Carrots, tomatoes - never even heard of doing that.
Garlic, feta and oil I've done, but would like to hear your version.

Do you mind describing the method?
Confit of veg it's not quite the same as meat but more of an alternative cooking method. Anyway, peel the carrots and have them around the same thickness. You want a dish or pan where the carrots just cover the bottom snuggly. This minimizes the amount of extra virgin used.

You can use less olive oil to come up half way but that will require you to mix the veg every 45 minutes or so.

Set oven to 225-250F

I add garlic, thyme, salt and pepper. A courser sea salt like a Maldon and fresh cracked black pepper. Slightly crush the garlic and bruise the thyme. You can add whole spices as well. Keep in mind that the olive oil that is used can be repurposed for other uses, including salads or sauteing. Anyway, add these to your carrots and place in a pot or shallow pan and just cover with extra virgin and bring up to what appears to be a boil on the stove, then put in the oven covered and cook for about 2 hours and 30 minutes and let cool in the pan. Remove to a container or zip lock bag with the oil and let sit in the fridge overnight before using. The next day strain the carrots and eat up those carrots.

That's the basic method for all veg and garlic. For tomatoes I use a grape type and I separate the garlic into cloves. Salt and pepper is to your taste as are any herbs or spices, just keep in mind these will influence the taste of the olive oil if you decide to repurpose it and use it somewhere else, which you should.

Also if you do decide to reuse the oil, strain first to remove any particulates.

Last edited:
Now that you've got me drooling, you are going to have to post your methods.
Could you do them separately? Or maybe just one thread titled Confit?
I've got duck fat (purchased eons ago) and keep intending to do the legs, but somehow just never do.
We have rabbits and even though they are domestic, we mostly stew them - I'm always looking for new ways with them.
Carrots, tomatoes - never even heard of doing that.
Garlic, feta and oil I've done, but would like to hear your version.
For duck legs or rabbit we need to cure first, which is salt basically and allow to cure overnight in the fridge. I use seas salt and fresh cracked pepper along with garlic, bruised and some herbs, of your liking, thyme is traditional, maybe some juniper berries as well.

Mix this cure until well combined and then rub all over the duck legs and the rabbit parts and in the fridge until the next day. Give the meat a quick rinse and dry well. Place in a pan that holds them snuggly in one layer but it can be much more, it's about the amount of duck fat you need to use and you need enough to totally submerge the meat. Heat the duck fat before covering the meat and cook in a 200-225 oven for 3-4 hours.

Allow to come to room temperature. Remove the meat and put in a container where you've made allowance in your fridge. the oil must cover the meat completely, nothing protruding which will keep for 4-6 months in the fridge.

I suggest that you don't try to eat these the day of making. Mainly because these pieces are very fragile and will fall apart and the time is needed for these to firm up, and they cook better. The meat will age and take on more flavor and umami. I suggest you wait a month before consuming.

Just checking, one could confit a chicken leg too, eh? Do you leave the skin on while dry brining it?
Yes you certainly can and ideally you would use schmaltz, and yes you would leave the skin on. The chicken legs are generally sauteed with crisping up the skin. The skin helps hold everything together and retaining moisture, and who doesn't like crispy chicken skin. :)

Yes you certainly can and ideally you would use schmaltz, and yes you would leave the skin on. The chicken legs are generally sauteed with crisping up the skin. The skin helps hold everything together and retaining moisture, and who doesn't like crispy chicken skin. :)
My husband, that's who doesn't like crispy chicken skin. If we have roast chicken with crispy skin, I get his. :pig::yum:

Are you talking about crisping up the skin before or after covering with lard/fat/schmaltz to bake.
There's no crisping of skin before. Always later after a piece is retrieved from the preserving fat. Flabby skin which is the result from the confit preparation is not appetizing for any palate so the natural thing to do was to make it eatable and the crispier the skin the better. As well, this was about economy and calories in a time where every morsal was important, of course now, it's a fancy way to cook.

Thanks, I sort of thought it would be but lately I've been finding so many things I thought obvious - the complete opposite - so just thought I'd check!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom