Anyone drink broth for health?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I freeze bones from chicken I’ve roasted and when I have enough, I make broth. Like Kathleen, I use the broth for soup. I also enjoy sipping a mug of plain hot broth on cold winter evenings, especially when I feel chilly or feel like I’m coming down with a cold. Hot broth always makes me feel better.

IMO bone broth or bouillon is just one item on a long list of healthy low calorie foods that together create a healthy diet.

Years ago cruise ships had bouillon stations on deck that offered cups of warm broth as a mid morning pick me up on cold days.

I sometimes eat warm broth or tomato juice with a spoon as a low calorie way to help control my hunger and take the edge off of my appetite.

You can easily add some bulk, without adding many calories, with a handful of frozen mixed vegetables.

IMO bone broth or bouillon is just one item on a long list of healthy low calorie foods that together create a healthy diet.

Years ago cruise ships had bouillon stations on deck that offered cups of warm broth as a mid morning pick me up on cold days.

I sometimes eat warm broth or tomato juice with a spoon as a low calorie way to help control my hunger and take the edge off of my appetite.

You can easily add some bulk, without adding many calories, with a handful of frozen mixed vegetables.
By bouillon you mean cubes is that correct.

By bouillon you mean cubes is that correct.
IMO the cubes, powders and some of the canned liquids would offer little if any nutritional value.

For me bone broth, bouillon, and stock refer to a liquid made by simmering bones, meat, and vegetables.

Last edited:
After looking at a can of powder, a bottle of liquid have found they have 1 g each of Carbs. The Protein in one is 1 g and the other .03 g.

I then discovered I don't have a box of broth or bouillon tin in the pantry.

Shall I mention the sodium content? Ok, why not. They both have approx. 45% of your daily intake of salt in 2 cups of liquid.

So if you are looking for nutrition with cups of nice hot broth, I suggest you make your own bone broth.

If you are just looking for a hot drink and don't want coffee, tea or chai, then go ahead and have a cup, they're delicious.

If your are looking for flavour to add to a recipe, then go ahead and add but don't think it raises the nutritional part of the meal. Just makes it taste yummier.

I remember reading in an older version of Joy of Cooking that stocks have lots of flavour, but that they are nutritionally very poor. I assume that is correct, but I have never read anything, one way or the other, from any scientific experts.

Maybe the "scientific experts" just read the labels and go with that. ;)
I wouldn't call them scientific experts. If it is science, someone has done actual research and published it.

Since I was a kid, I have known that labels on food are not always accurate. There were several scientists in the Unitarian church I attended and they would often tell us which brands they had caught lying on their ingredient lists. They had done independent chemical analysis of the contents of packaged foods and compared to the ingredient lists.

taxy, was just quoting your "scientific experts" comment. ;) No judgements.

Chose an analysis lab and you will probably get a somewhat different analysis each time.

Obviously "they" have never been take to task for their analysis.
So did your scientist, who were telling you which companies were lying, publish their findings?

taxy, was just quoting your "scientific experts" comment. ;) No judgements.

Chose an analysis lab and you will probably get a somewhat different analysis each time.

Obviously "they" have never been take to task for their analysis.
So did your scientist, who were telling you which companies were lying, publish their findings?
I have no idea if they published their work. They did do something with the info beyond telling other Unitarians. But, I was kid. They didn't tell us all the details and I probably wouldn't remember details about it anyways. It was over 60 years ago. I vaguely remember that they informed the companies about their findings. I think they may have written to some magazines or agency, if the companies didn't "straighten up and fly right".

Ahhh, OK, understood. Hopefully companies now are more in tune with modern laws about truths and the fines they could be levied with if not.

Don't you mean it takes volunteers to bring it to the attention of those with authority to assess, etc?
Well, the bringing it to attention is part of what I meant. I meant that often it's only scientists doing the testing in a volunteer capacity. I imagine that the testing is usually done again once it has been brought to the attention of those with authority to do something about it.

A question for the stock makers.

I was puttering around making the world’s smallest pot of stock using the skin, bones, and giblets from Sunday’s Cornish hen and I started wondering if others save and add eggshells to their stock.

It seems to be a controversial ingredient but it makes nutritional sense to me.

What say you?

I remember my grandma always cooking a chicken broth when someone in the family was ill. It's meant to have anti-oxidant properties and help bolster the immune system. Seemed to work.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom