Beef & Barley Soup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Kevin86, have your ever tried Better Than Buollion brand of soup bases? I haven't tried the veggie flavoring, but the chicken and beef flavored soup bases are way better, IMHO, than the Campbell's, or Swanson, Or College brands. I tried another chicken base and ti didn't taste like chicken at all. And Boullion cubes can't touch the B&B products. Look online. They have a whole range of great tasting soup bases.

But again, they fit my idea of what a soup stock is supposed to taste like. You may enjoy the broth you're already using better.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
Better than Bouillon is also less expensive and much easier to carry and store, since it's a concentrated stock in a small jar.

I also use the BtB, roasted chicken base, for most things I need broth for. I didn't have any beef, but that's what I used tonight, when I made this soup.

I used Andy's recipe, with a few changes. I cooked the mirepoix in the IP, adding 2 crushed garlic cloves, then removed most of it, and added 9 c of the broth, using that roasted chicken base and the barley, then cooked it for 20 min. on high pressure, while prepping the rest of the dish.

I soaked 1 oz of porcini, then "massaged" the grit out of them, then rinsed them in another cup of water. I chopped them up, then, using a method Marcella Hazan used in her books, I boiled the porcini with the strained soaking water, before adding the butter and fresh cremini, to brown those. The second rinsing water I used to deglaze the beef pan, and rinse out the mushroom pan.

The beef I browned and added to the barley, with the cooked mirepoix and deglazing from the sauté pan, plus about 2 tsp fresh rosemary and 1 tsp fresh sage, chopped, andcooked it for 15 min. on high, and released pressure after 10 min. I then added the mushroom mix, rinsed out the pan with that porcini liquid, and cooked on high for 10 min. I let it naturally release for 15 min., then released the rest of the pressure. Then, I stirred in 1/4 c chopped parlsey, in addition to that on top of the bowl.

This was some of the best beef barley mushroom soup I've made, and I'm going to copy that recipe, adding my options.
Chopped porcini, with soaking liquid cooking off. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Chopped cremini, added to porcini to brown in butter. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Mushrooms finished browning in butter. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Second batch of beef browning. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Browned beef, ready to add to IP. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Fresh rosemary and sage, chopped up for the soup. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Finished soup in Instant Pot by pepperhead212, on Flickr

2020-03-10_11-23-48 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

I also use the BtB, roasted chicken base, for most things I need broth for. I didn't have any beef, but that's what I used tonight, when I made this soup.

I used Andy's recipe, with a few changes. I cooked the mirepoix in the IP, adding 2 crushed garlic cloves, then removed most of it, and added 9 c of the broth, using that roasted chicken base and the barley, then cooked it for 20 min. on high pressure, while prepping the rest of the dish.

I soaked 1 oz of porcini, then "massaged" the grit out of them, then rinsed them in another cup of water. I chopped them up, then, using a method Marcella Hazan used in her books, I boiled the porcini with the strained soaking water, before adding the butter and fresh cremini, to brown those. The second rinsing water I used to deglaze the beef pan, and rinse out the mushroom pan.

The beef I browned and added to the barley, with the cooked mirepoix and deglazing from the sauté pan, plus about 2 tsp fresh rosemary and 1 tsp fresh sage, chopped, andcooked it for 15 min. on high, and released pressure after 10 min. I then added the mushroom mix, rinsed out the pan with that porcini liquid, and cooked on high for 10 min. I let it naturally release for 15 min., then released the rest of the pressure. Then, I stirred in 1/4 c chopped parlsey, in addition to that on top of the bowl.

This was some of the best beef barley mushroom soup I've made, and I'm going to copy that recipe, adding my options.
Chopped porcini, with soaking liquid cooking off. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Chopped cremini, added to porcini to brown in butter. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Mushrooms finished browning in butter. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Second batch of beef browning. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Browned beef, ready to add to IP. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Fresh rosemary and sage, chopped up for the soup. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Finished soup in Instant Pot by pepperhead212, on Flickr

2020-03-10_11-23-48 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

You've got to move to the U.P. so I can come over and have some of that!

It looks gourmet to me.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Hey there thanks. I used to use bouillon and powder stocks but I kept striking out. I’m not big on salty foods and a lot of bouillons ended up making my dishes saltier than the ready to use Campbell broth.

Also my Mrs came up on them it’s how her mom cooked and what she liked that’s how I got introduced to them. So it was kinda a smooth answer.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom