Best cream cheese to use for cheesecake

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

masteraznchefjr

Sous Chef
yea i was thinking ofmaking cheesecake ummm wut brand of cream cheese is the best for making cheesecake? Kraft, Giant store brand, Safeway brand, other brands?

Master, I have always used Philidelphia cream cheese. Nothing else.They have fat free too, If you needed that. I have never used anything else. The cheese cakes that I have made have been really good too.

Philidelphia is what I use too.

I've had the safeway brand ( not in cheese cake) and it just wasn't as good.

I would be cautious of using all fat free cream cheese unless the recipe was developed with it. A friend of mine made something (wish I could remember what) and substituted fat free cream cheese for all of the cream cheese in the recipe and the finished product was runny and wasn't supposed to be. I might try using half fat free and half regular and see if you are happy with the results.

I have used fat free philly cheese. When they are out of reg.

Another vote for Philly. I've tried a few others when they were on sale and I didn't like the taste or the texture as well.

I agree with the others, master, and I learned this the hard way just this last weekend. I was trying to save a few pennies and got the store brand cream cheese instead of Philadelphia and noticed a large difference in quality. No matter how much I beat the cream cheese it didn't become completely smooth and there's definately an overall difference in taste and texture, too.

Only use fat-free if specified in the recipe. However, you can easily substitute the 1/3-less fat cream cheese for regular cream cheese in any cheesecake recipe.

I have succesfully used Spartan brand and had a great end product. But I too usually use Philly. I tried using no-fat and lo-fat cream cheese and it ruined the texture.

Surprisingly, one time I ran out of cream cheese while making the filling and substitued an equal amount of strained cottage cheese that I pushed through a fine, wire-mesh sieve. The cheesecake texture was unchanged. But the flavor was a bit more tangy, though very good.

Remember, there are cheesecakes made from cream cheese, ricotta cheese, and a host of others, depending on the desired results, and whether you're making a desert or a side dish. We are all most familiar with either the Hollywood, or the New York style cheescakes. Do a bit of searching, and you will find more kinds of cheescakes than you would know what to do with. That little cookbook I have gave me just a hint of what's out there. And it has only about 30 recipes.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Back
Top Bottom