Best recipe for beef tenderloin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

licia

Executive Chef
Our son will be here for his birthday this year and I've ordered a 9 pound beef tenderloin.

What is the very best way to cook this? I'd appreciate any recipes or instructions.

Bring the meat up to room temperature.

Preheat oven to 400- 425

Generously season the beef with salt and pepper. Some people coat it with olive oil first.

Place in a roasting pan, fat side up. If yours has a smaller, "tail" end, tuck it under. Do not add water to the pan. It should be cooked with dry heat.

Roast until it reaches 120 for med-rare; 135-40 for medium. It's important to use a meat thermometer to judge doneness, esp since it's a $$ cut of meat.

Check it for doneness after about 30 min or so.

Remove it from oven and let it rest in a warm place for about 10 min before slicing. It will continue to cook during this time. You can tent it with foil, if you want.

Some people sear theirs before roasting but you have a pretty big roast which might mean cutting it in half or searing it in the roasting pan.

Whatever you do, don't braise it or put it in a crackpot.

While you can cook it straight out of the vacuum-sealed packaging, quite a bit of trimming makes for the best presentation and ease of cooking. You'll find that one end is larger than the other. The large "Butt" end has a flap of meat that taste great, but should be trimmed for another use. The thin tip at the other end (good meat) should also be cut off and reserved for another use. These trimmings may amount to 25-30% of the total weight you purchase, but they make for succulent kebabs at a later date. Most stores when selling "tenderloin roasts" simply cut off the entire butt end and sell it separately. When the tip is also removed, you are left with what the French call a "Chateaubriand". It's also possible to buy these "center-cut" roasts directly from your butcher - but they are expensive. Properly trimmed, a Chateaubriand is typically 8-10" long, serving 4-6 people (I like slices 2" thick).

Also carefully remove the silver-skin (tendon) which is a slightly shiny thin piece of connective tissue running the length of the tenderloin. This is chewy and can either be removed by you at the start, or at the table by your guests. I choose the former. If there are large flaps of fat, remove these, but leave any small bits of fat you find, along with the strip of fatty meat that often runs along the back of the tenderloin. Trimming is easier when the meat is ice-cold, so do it straight from the refrigerator.

You should tie the roast. Get some butchers twine, and look up a video on YouTube. This helps to keep it uniform in shape (for even cooking and a nice round shape - rather than flat). It also keeps the roast from buckling when you brown it (twisting or curling). After all this is done, let it rest on the counter for an hour or two to warm up. Before cooking, pat the roast all over with paper towels to remove any surface moisture (makes for better browning) and season with kosher salt and fresh ground pepper.

Heat the oven to 375ºF and get a 10-12" oven-safe fry pan on high heat. Add a couple tablespoons of canola or vegetable oil (not olive) to the pan and wait until you see shimmering and a few wisps of smoke. Add the roast to the pan and be ready for spattering and some smoke (do not cover with anything, as it traps moisture). Wait at least 30 seconds, and then flip to another side - repeat on all sides. If you have tongs, things are made easier - especially holding it and browning the small ends. When brown, pop it in the oven.

This is where the most important part comes in - taking the temperature. A digital oven-safe thermometer that has an oven-safe probe is the best bet. You stick the whole probe into the small end of the roast, pull up the slack and close the oven door. Plug in the probe to the thermometer, and set it to 120ºF for Rare, 125ºF for Medium-Rare. Do not cut into the roast to check the color, or try to coax juices out - use a thermometer, and a good one at that.

When finished, remove the roast from the oven, out of the hot pan, and onto a cutting board away from the hot stove to rest for at least 15 minutes. If you did the trimming ahead of time, you just need to snip the twine off with some scissors, and cut slices as thick as you want.

The pan full of brown bits, juices, and rendered fat is also a gold-mine for a whole array of sauces that can be made while the beef rests.

Good luck.

Note - I recommend the OXO digital thermometer. It may seem a little pricey, but it's the first unit I've owned that has lasted more than six months.

Last edited:
Cut the tenderloin into batonnet of about 100g per portion. Mix with 2 tbsp thai sweet chilli sauce, 1 tbsp chopped mint, 1 tbsp chopped coriander, 1/2 tsp chopped garlic. Yummy!

I had to look up what part it is. English, is not my first lenguage, so often I am not sure what part we are talking about. Wiki has a really good discription of it and how to use it. Beef tenderloin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I love all the recomended pieces that you can make out of it. especially Chateaubriand. It is like my all time favorite, and it is the best.

I would do a simple stew. Make a rue, potato, onion, pepper, garlic. You can always make it in a slow cooker too.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom