Bread Machines

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Big Toni

Assistant Cook
Seriously considering buying a bread maker. Done some research, but am quite confused. I would appreciate comments, suggestions, and brands from those who use them regularly. What, if any, special features should I consider and why. I want to be able to use my own ingredients, no mixes. Thanks for your help.

I used to own one, I think it was Sunbeam. I gave it to my Mom after I got a stand mixer.

Most of them seem to have features in common (capacity, crust color, dough cycle, etc.) I liked the timer as it was nice to wake up in the morning to baking bread, though I didn't use it often.

One thing to keep in mind is the shape of the loaf you get. I didn't like the tall square loaf for sandwiches, but for bread on the table it was fine.

They are convenient as a set and forget and have bread, but if you want to really take over your bread baking a good stand mixer is more versatile in the long run.

Good luck in your search.

I have three bread machines. I use them for making dough. One is a black and decker, another is a Homesense (?) (that one is in storage at the rental property), and the other is a Kitchen Pro (this one has the most number of cycles--I use it here at the farm). I picked them up at Thrift stores for $5-10 each. I did have a double-paddle black and decker (bought that new). Hated it. One of the paddles always came off mid-cycle. Got rid of that one. I'd suggest getting one at a yard sale or thrift store to figure out if you like having one. It seems that a lot of people get rid of them <g>.

I'd get one at a thrift store unless one has feature that you think you will like. A lot of unused or rarely used at the thrift stores, and for me that is the ultimate recycling. Like CWS, I rarely make bread in mine. You can use the dough cycle overnight, form and bake in the oven in the morning.

Back
Top Bottom