Canning containers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi and welcome to Discuss Cooking :)

No, sorry. Home canning can only be done safely in glass jars specifically designed for that purpose.

Welcome to the forum!

No, there is really nothing else you can use. Granted, they use metal for canning commercially, but that would be even more problematic in a home setting!

Why is glass problematic? Is it because it falls and breaks in an earthquake zone, or children? There are methods of shelving, putting boards or rods across the front for that. You might search out shelving for the earthquake zones or for boating.

The only people that are using metal cans that I know of are the LDS church where they can in metal, usually at the community kitchens. This can be rented or they might have a way for you to share this equipment.
And many people in Alaska use metal cans for canning salmon or other fish. There are smaller canning lid machines that attach the metal lids to the cans. Search out metal canning for fish.

Why is glass problematic? Is it because it falls and breaks in an earthquake zone, or children? There are methods of shelving, putting boards or rods across the front for that. You might search out shelving for the earthquake zones or for boating.

The only people that are using metal cans that I know of are the LDS church where they can in metal, usually at the community kitchens. This can be rented or they might have a way for you to share this equipment.
And many people in Alaska use metal cans for canning salmon or other fish. There are smaller canning lid machines that attach the metal lids to the cans. Search out metal canning for fish.
My wife has a tremendous aversion to glass no matter how well they are stored she is convinced they will break and she is going to get glass in her foot.

My wife has a tremendous aversion to glass no matter how well they are stored she is convinced they will break and she is going to get glass in her foot.
Got it. Thanks. I hope you find a way to do what you want to do.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom