Canning today 2023 Part II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I know people that do much more than I do, canning, fermenting, dehydrating, freezing. It's a great hedge against job loss or even things like getting through covid, emergencies you might not imagine. And for when there is no emergency, it's a private shopping venue.:ROFLMAO: I can visit all that hard work, and decide to grab some pineapple salsa to make a quick dinner, or lavender peach jam to spread on a cookie.

ohhh, lavender peach jam - sound wonderful.

Think maybe, when you can find time between canning fermenting, dehydrating, freezing, bee'ing and painting, you might find time to post the recipe?

I have had some lavender in my cupboard for a very long time. Originally to make Herbes de Provence, then someone gave me some she had made and I never got around to it. It just sits there - probably becoming very weak and insipid but I can't throw it away.

That is absolutely too funny! I have that Small Batch by Topp and Howard. don't know why I never noticed the lavender and peach recipe.
Thanks blissful!

Canning again, 7 pints of onion/pepper mix in the pressure canner, another 7 pints in a few hours. The peppers are ripening and we're down to 5 gallons left to turn red or yellow.

@dragnlaw wouldn't you know it! Reduced produce and mr bliss brought home two bags of peaches for $2 total. 12 big peaches just about to expire. I'm canning 5 12-ounce jars of peach puree/jam. I had 1/2 cup extra, for the fridge. I just cooked it down quite a ways. Once I blended it with a hand blender, the boiling was like a volcano (all over the stove), so it had to go right into jars!
I had no intention of making peach jam/puree....so it was this talk, your prophetic words that brought it on. :)

I'm starting some Piccalilli now - something I had to do with those green tomatoes, that aren't going to ripen. Also a bunch of those peppers will go into it, though not the very hot ones. I haven't made this in probably 15 years or more, and amazingly, I went right to the book the recipe is in, and remembered most of the spices for it! I first looked online, but nothing looked right, and I remembered this one. I got 6 c of chopped tomatoes, which get salted overnight. This is 3/4 of a recipe, so I should get 3 pints of relish.

I just finished the piccalilli, and got 4 pints, which was the amount the full recipe was supposed to make, and this was only 3/4 of the ingredients. :unsure: I won't try to figure it out. I put a small amount of citric acid in it, in case the amount of vinegar wasn't enough for those vegetables, though the consistency was what I remember.
About 6 c of green tomatoes, chopped up, and salted overnight, before rinsing and squeezing dry. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Onions added to the salted tomatoes, and the peppers and garlic ready to stir in with the mix, and cook. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Finished piccalilli, waiting to cool from the water bath. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

As I was texting this, I heard the tops popping!

Last edited:
Yesterday we canned 12 pineapple ($1/each on reduced produce), so 32 pints of cubed pineapple. 4 didn't seal so I recanned those today. Tomorrow I have 6 more pineapples to can-hopefully another 16 pints. I use it in my carrot/apple/pineapple slaw that I eat with hot cereal/grain for breakfasts.

edited to add: pineapples are on sale now but are also on sale in January.

You know, pineapple is not exactly my favourite fruit. I like it but rarely have it. Find it too acidic for my mouth.
But I think if I were to find it on special like that I would certainly try canning some. I know son, etal often has it.

Finished up the pineapple with 13 pints for a total of 32.

I'm canning low salt and low sugar ketchup today, 2 batches. Each batch is 12 pints, so I'll have 2 cases by the time we are done tonight.

very impressive bliss, good going!

Been cheking the grocers for pineapple as I like the recipe you posted but no one has in on special here. Even when I asked the produce manager in one store he said it was very unlikely to come on special. He couldn't ever remember it doing so.
Think Canada should annex Costa Rica just to get some good prices. They can afford to send some to lil'ol Canada, no? Would hardly be a dent in their production.

very impressive bliss, good going!

Been cheking the grocers for pineapple as I like the recipe you posted but no one has in on special here. Even when I asked the produce manager in one store he said it was very unlikely to come on special. He couldn't ever remember it doing so.
Think Canada should annex Costa Rica just to get some good prices. They can afford to send some to lil'ol Canada, no? Would hardly be a dent in their production.
These are the pineapples that I usually get.

There are plenty of fresh pineapple available in the stores - just not on sale.
When I do buy it, it depends entirely on what I'll be doing with it. I will/prefer to buy it like you do taxy, fresh rather than canned.

I have one recipe - I should look it up as have not made it in decades! It gets quartered, leaving the leaves on the top, then the scooped out shells are used to serve the dish - meatballs if I remember correctly. Was always a success (even if I cut the pineapple a little wonky). ;)

The pineapple prices here go up and down frequently - not sure why, but I know it's not because they are in or out of season, since they are pretty much in season everywhere they are grown! Lately they have been higher around here, but I just don't buy them then, even though they are a favorite fruit of mine.

I liked the sound of that "pineapple habanero salsa", as it seems like something that sweet, almost floral like flavor of habaneros. And for someone who doesn't want the heat, and grows peppers, try Aji Dulce - a chinense pepper with that incredible flavor, and almost no heat. Something I have been growing for years, so I could share some of those habanero flavored dishes with friends, that can't eat heat.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom