Chicken a la Alix

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alix

Everymom
Moderator Emeritus
I modified a couple of recipes and we like the result so I thought I would share.

6-8 chicken pieces (I use a couple of thighs and mostly breasts)
lemon pepper
lime
1/4 cup chicken broth
1 tsp cornstarch
1/4 cup brandy
1 tbsp dijon (or 1 tsp dry mustard and 1 tsp sugar)
chopped green onions

Sprinkle chicken with lemon pepper and brown chicken pieces in frying pan a bit. Place chicken into a casserole dish and deglaze pan with the chicken broth. Stir in the mustard and let it reduce a bit. Stir the cornstarch into the brandy and add that to the pan. Let sauce thicken a bit. Squeeze the lime into the sauce. Pour over the chicken pieces and add the chopped green onions. Put in the oven for 30-40 minutes (time depends on bone in or out) at 350. Serve with either rice or noodles.

I modified a couple of recipes and we like the result so I thought I would share.

6-8 chicken pieces (I use a couple of thighs and mostly breasts)
lemon pepper
lime
1/4 cup chicken broth
1 tsp cornstarch
1/4 cup brandy
1 tbsp dijon (or 1 tsp dry mustard and 1 tsp sugar)
chopped green onions

Sprinkle chicken with lemon pepper and brown chicken pieces in frying pan a bit. Place chicken into a casserole dish and deglaze pan with the chicken broth. Stir in the mustard and let it reduce a bit. Stir the cornstarch into the brandy and add that to the pan. Let sauce thicken a bit. Squeeze the lime into the sauce. Pour over the chicken pieces and add the chopped green onions. Put in the oven for 30-40 minutes (time depends on bone in or out) at 350. Serve with either rice or noodles.

Thanks Alix.

I'll be trying this this week-end. I have a frozen bag of boneless/skinless chicken thighs that I think would like this treatment with some wide egg noodles. I'll also be subbing some vidalia chopped onions for the spring onions.

Looks good to me.

I think I'll sample the ingredients for freshness.

Brandy first...

The brandy was a truly inspired touch. Sip a little while cooking...splash some in...sip more after dinner. MMMMMMM!

Tossed in a tsp of thyme and had to use a lemon instead of a lime this time. I'll post how it went.

Bigger hit than when I used the lime! I served this over orzo noodles and had a side of sauteed zucchini, onions, celery, peppers and a nice tomato. Really delicious.

Sounds great. I really don't use prepared mustards as much as I should, I suspect. I love the taste, but have never gotten the hang of how/when. Frying black mustard seeds till they pop and sprinkling with mustard oil are second nature, but every time I see a recipe with dijon or other jarred mustard, I realize that I am missing a basic flavor tool.

Gotta do easy sometimes Nora!

LOL - it isn't a matter of easy for me. Sorry if I implied that. The flavor profile of mustard changes tremendously over time and the prepared has whole new vistas of possibilities, which I haven't yet conquered. Not to mention that it serves as an emulsifier base. I would love tips on good pairings and "when to add"s.

Alix, glad to hear you like it better with lemon, as that's what I have. I'll be making it tonight, it sounds delish! ;)

Bolas, what kind of a diet are you on? This is both low carb and low cal ~ perfect for any diet I've ever used.

Alix, glad to hear you like it better with lemon, as that's what I have. I'll be making it tonight, it sounds delish! ;)

Let me know how you like it. I had some lovely fresh lemons from the market and I think that made all the difference. That and the extra large splash of brandy...:angel:

Let me know how you like it. I had some lovely fresh lemons from the market and I think that made all the difference. That and the extra large splash of brandy...:angel:

The brandy is supposed to go in the food, not the cook.:)

i made this according to directions, sampling the bourbon many times to be sure it was good.

it was delicious so it's a keeper, but unfortunately i didn't write anything down until i was almost done.

i looked today and my notes said bourbon chicky lala alix. :mrgreen:

i made this according to directions, sampling the bourbon many times to be sure it was good.

it was delicious so it's a keeper, but unfortunately i didn't write anything down until i was almost done.

i looked today and my notes said bourbon chicky lala alix. :mrgreen:

WHOO! Sounds like yours was as tasty as mine! Love the sampling.

Just finished dinner, and it was delicious Alix !! Darn it, I see now that I forgot the mustard! It was delicious anyway. I bet that the mustard would give it that extra kick. That's what I get for counting on my lousy memory. Ack....going to print out the recipe now..

I just saw this recipe and it sounds delicious. Something my family will really like. I think I'll be making it this week. Thanks!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom