Chicken balls

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wannabechef

Assistant Cook
I want to make restaurant style chicken balls for sweet and sour but my balls are not turning out consistent and round. Any suggestions?

I have a recipe that duplicates the chicken balls from a local Chines Buffet establishment. Here it is from my cookbook, "You Can Be A Great Cook with Poultry. (I figure, I wrote the book, and self publish it, so I can post parts of it:chef:):

Asian Chicken Meatballs
There’s this great restaurant just down the road a bit from my home. They serve some fine food at this place. One of my wife’s favorite dishes served at this establishment is chicken meatballs. They are good. I’ve had them.
Well, to make a long story short, I had to try to make something similar at home. The results of my efforts (and this is according to my wife, folks) are chicken meat balls of superior quality to the ones found at the restaurant. These are especially good with pineapple sweet & sour sauce.
Ingredients:
1 large chicken breast
2 large chicken thighs
3 stalks celery
 tsp. salt
1 clove garlic
1 tsp. onion powder
1 medium egg, lightly beaten

Skin and remove the chicken from the bones and either mince in food-processor, or run through a meat grinder. Mince the garlic and add with the onion powder to the meat. Finely chop the celery and add it to the chicken with the remaining ingredients. Mix well.
The trick to these meatballs is egg. Lacking sufficient fat to hold them together, the protein rich egg white coats each morsel of meat, acting like the fat in a hamburger. It binds them.
Shape into 1 inch meatballs and gently set them into a deep frying pan. Add 1/2 cup of water and cover. Gently steam the meatballs until they are firm. Remove the pan lid and allow the water to evaporate, or pour it off. Add two tbs. peanut oil and sauté until lightly browned on all sides. Serve with Pineapple Sweet & Sour Sauce, white rice and butter, and with steamed carrots. Arrange artistically on dark plates and serve.
Makes approximately 24 meatballs.

If you want the pineapple sweet & sour sauce, let me know.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Pineapple Sweet and Sour Sauce, from the same cookbook.:chef:

Pineapple Sweet & Sour Sauce
This syrup based sauce can be made ahead and refrigerated. It compliments egg rolls, chicken stir fries, won tons, etc. It can also be used with ham and pastas.
Ingredients:
2 cups chicken broth (water can be used if no broth is available)
1/4 tsp. ginger
1 tbs. onion powder or 1/4 onion finely chopped
2 cloves crushed garlic
16 oz. can crushed or chunk pineapple (substitute  cup lemon juice if used for seafood)
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar (substitute 1/2 cup white granulated sugar if lemon juice is used)
1/8 cup balsamic, or apple cider vinegar
1/4 chopped sweet pepper (optional but omit if lemon juice is used)
2 tbs. cornstarch mixed with 4 oz. water
Combine ingredients in order. After adding brown sugar, taste. Sauce should be fairly sweet with the ginger and chicken flavors tickling, not stomping the taste buds. Add vinegar and taste again. Add more brown sugar or vinegar as needed. But be careful. It is much easier to add just a bit more of something than it’s to try to remove it, or compensate for a too strong flavor.
Mix the cornstarch and water together, and pour into the gently boiling sauce. Stir rapidly to distribute until the sauce is thickened. Remove from heat and cover.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Copied, pasted, credited and saved to my recipe files! I might try these when my Mom is visting in October.

Just a touch of Chinese 5-Spice powder added to the meatball mixture takes everything to a whole new taste level. But try the original first. And as with all of my recipes, I encourage anyone who tries them to change them, make them your own. There is lots of room for alterations, a little soy sauce here, a touch of wasabi there. Or maybe serve them up with a good homemade barbecue sauce and put it all over top of some good pasta. I imagine that they would even be great in a chicken broth, as soup, or mixed in with a sir-fry.

So, first try them as is, then make them your own. That way, you can create your own masterpiece.:chef: Always remember, a great recipe is just the starting point. Where you go from there is what makes you a great cook, hence the title of my cookbooks, "You Can Be A Great Cook With..."

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Looking over the receipes for what I might need at the store, i just notice on the meatball there is a square box for the measurement of salt and in the sauce there is one for the lemon juice.

Those are fractions used on that person's keyboard and font set that didn't translate across the internet to your default font. Fractions and special characters don't always come across as intended. You might have to ask that person to resubmit those values in ordinary numbers.

Back
Top Bottom