Sunday March 24. My first Detroit Pizza. What did you eat?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

caseydog

Master Chef
I finally got around to ordering a Detroit Style Pizza from Jet's Pizza. It was good, but dense. I had two squares, and it felt like I swallowed a bowling ball.

1711330375652.jpeg

CD

I finally got around to ordering a Detroit Style Pizza from Jet's Pizza. It was good, but dense. I had two squares, and it felt like I swallowed a bowling ball.

View attachment 68601

CD
I grew up in Detroit. I now live in Florida, with a Jets right around the corner. Jets is "almost Detroit " pizza. They don't quite have it right. It shouldn't be dense. Among other errors, the sauce should always be on top.

I grew up in Detroit. I now live in Florida, with a Jets right around the corner. Jets is "almost Detroit " pizza. They don't quite have it right. It shouldn't be dense. Among other errors, the sauce should always be on top.

Dense may not have been the best choice of words. I'm speaking relative to the thin-crust pizzas I make at home, and eat most of the time. It was definitely filling.

It also had more sauce than a NY Slice. It was a very good tasting sauce. One of things I don't like about Chicago "pizza," is the sauce on top. I'm glad this one didn't do that.

But, I know what you're saying. It's not going to be the same outside of Detroit. I'm constantly amazed at what people outside of Texas call Texas Chili.

CD

Little Ceasar's is Detroit pizza.
Not by a mile............

Although it started outside Detroit, in a strip mall at Ford Rd & Middlebelt (the same mall as the first K-Mart), it is more closely related to what is called "Midwest style pizza". It pre-dates Domino's by a year, which is the same generic style, and was also started just outside of Detroit. But neither started IN Detroit.

Little Caesar's used to be good back in the early '60s, when it was still a single shop. We lived nearby (just a bicycle ride away) and had a lot of pizza from there. Delivery didn't exist back then.

Real Detroit pizza started at Buddy's Rendezvous, a bar on 6 Mile Rd, back in the '40s. I wasn't yet alive, but ate many pizzas from Buddy's, as well as the others that cropped up (Shield's, Cloverleaf Bar, Loui's, etc). The crust should not be heavy or doughy - it should be light and airy, almost like focaccia. The cheese isn't mozzarella - it's Wisconsin brick cheese. The sauce goes on top, but never smeared all over. It's always laid on in 2 or 3 stripes, running the length of the pizza. Jet's is a poor imitation.

Little Caesar's used to be good back in the early '60s, when it was still a single shop. We lived nearby (just a bicycle ride away) and had a lot of pizza from there. Delivery didn't exist back then.

Did you have a pizza made by Bill Murray? Oh wait, that one was in Chicago.

CD

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom