Chicken soup challenge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You must try it in chicken soup! It's really good. Lemons and limes, the fresh ones, are outrageously expensive around here, and since we're a bit north of where they grow, the quality is questionable.

Same here and I am a lemon head, love the stuff. I just got 4 bottles of Volcano Lemon Juice (Italian) at Costco. Brilliant flavor. As for the True Lemon/Lime, I found the restaurant size boxes (500/200 count) of the stuff and have gobs.

This recipe can be chicken or turkey soup. I like to make it with leftover turkey from Thanksgiving.

Ms. Mofet's Creamy Turkey (or Chicken) Confetti Soup

img_1487385_0_3147d3943058159119f3d9993ecc3151.jpg

This dang thread got me to hankering chicken soup. So I look in the fridge. What no onions? I am sure I had them on the list. So I go into my last grocery list. Sure 'nuff, no onions or taters listed. They would be on Spike's side and it was his job to get them. But he doesn't improvise. If it is not listed, he doesn't pick it up. Even if he knows I get those two items every month.

I guess I could make chicken broth with rice. But I don't like rice in my soups. Well, I guess I will wait until next month.

Huh, huh. I also was going to make chicken soup, and though I had onions, I did not have carrots. I have made pretty decent chicken soup without onions, but never without carrots. It is very one dimensional in the end. Even though I knew that i went and made soup. And one dimensional it was. :(

Huh, huh. I also was going to make chicken soup, and though I had onions, I did not have carrots. I have made pretty decent chicken soup without onions, but never without carrots. It is very one dimensional in the end. Even though I knew that i went and made soup. And one dimensional it was. :(

Fortunately, Spike came to my rescue. Three carrots and about five onions, rather on the small size. I already had some celery. So I made the soup and I ate all the carrots. I also made dumplings with Bell's Seasoning in them. Pirate couldn't stop going back for more and more. About the third trip he got down my large vegetable serving bowl and finished off the dumplings and the rest of the soup. I was lucky to finish a cereal size bowl. I filled up on all the carrots. The Bell Seasoning also flavored the broth of the soup and really gave it some depth.

img_1487631_0_6c52f597556561b5f045a4f94452d6d4.jpg

"Mexican" chicken soup, it not real Mexican food, but I found it years ago on taco box and we love it.

img_1487637_0_6c52f597556561b5f045a4f94452d6d4.jpg

"Mexican" chicken soup, it not real Mexican food, but I found it years ago on taco box and we love it.

Love Mexican chicken soup. Never knew it was not really Mexican. I've had it in a Mexican restaurant.
Your soup looks very thick. Share the recipe please.

Indeed, CakePoet, recipe please! We go to Mexico quite often, this looks like no soup I've had there.

Back in my trucking days I got some chicken soup off a Mexican food truck. I was at the docks in LA. Long beach to be exact. Anyway, It came in a styrofoam cup. There was a chicken leg and whole okra sticking out of the broth.
Now I'm use to moms and grandmas chicken soup. I thought I don't know what the heck this this. Lazy can't even take the meat off the bone. It was absoutly delicious.

My grandma's dumplings are my favourite:

2 c flour
1/2 tsp salt
2/3 c milk
4 tsp baking powder
1 beaten egg
2 T bacon or chicken fat

1. Sift dry ingredients and cut in fat.
2. Add egg and milk. Mix until moist.
3. Drop by tablespoons on top of simmering soup. Cover and simmer for 12-15 minutes.

Orginal recipe is

1 pkg of enchilada spice
1 tin of Mexican beans
400 gram of diced chicken
1 onion
1 box of Tomato passata + 1 box of water.
1 tin of Mexican corn
2 stock cubes

Nachos and sour cream to serve.
This company folded many years ago and I cant get hold of any of this any more. So this what I been changing it too.

Mexican Chicken soup:
400 gram diced chicken
1 chopped onion.
500 gram carton of tomato passata ( smooth tomato sauce with just tomatoes and salt)
400 ml water
190 gram tin of black beans
190 gram tin of mix beans
150 gram tin of corn
1 tablespoon cumin powder
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 tablespoon chipotle paste
1 teaspoon chili powder.
1 tablespoon paprika powder.
2 chicken stock cubes.
butter.

Heat up the butter in a deep pot, add the onion and fry until golden, add the chicken and fry for few minutes. Add the spices and stir. Add the tomato passata and water and stock cubes. Drain corn and beans and add to the soup, stir and let come to a simmer and simmer for 20 minutes. Add more water if needed, taste and season with salt and pepper if needed. Serve with creme fraiche or sour cream, nachos and pickled peppers.

For us this serves four, but we are Swedish and our portions are small.

CWS4322, Love the sound of that dumpling recipe. Copied and saved. Need ways to use up some bacon drippings and that sounds scrumptious! Thank you!

Ok, biscuit style dumplings: We all ahve our favorite dumpling recipe. Some people use Bisquick, some use buttermilk and baking soda, some use milk and baking powder, and the list goes on. The is the easiest recipe for dumplings ever, with no mess to lean up. Purchase a bag of frozen Pillsbury buttermilk bisuits. They are ras and ready to bake. Take as many as you need out to the bag, still frozen, and drop Into your chicken soup and cover. Let sit in the boiling soup for 20 minutes, remove and serve.

Yeh, i know, I have a reputation for making everything from scratch. But last night I wanted dumplings, and time was limited. So I threw together the soup and added the frozen biscuits, just to see if it would work. The dumplings were pretty good, a little soggy on the bottom, but good nonetheless.

So much for my reputation.:LOL:

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

CWS4322, Love the sound of that dumpling recipe. Copied and saved. Need ways to use up some bacon drippings and that sounds scrumptious! Thank you!
I use whatever fat I have--chicken, bacon, lard. And I use milk, cream, buttermilk, yogurt. Whatever. I made Grandma's dumplings tonight to top off the chicken soup I made. I used chicken fat, buttermilk, and cream. Mom ate all of her soup because it was just like her Momma used to make :yum:. I drop the dumplings off a T spoon and simmer on low for 12-15 minutes. Works for us.

I always find it amusing when my girlfriend says her bisquits are always soggy on the bottom. Well, I have had them and they are delightful. But it begs the question...

if you are boiling or steaming something on top of a liquid - how can it NOT be a bit soggy on the bottom?

To my mind "it goes with the territory" so to speak.

Coconut chicken soup is the only time I'd eat anything with coconut. I hate it otherwise. But that soup is divine.

Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking

Charlie, I can't remember which thread you mentioned a thumbs up emoticon.
Can you see this emoticon?
IMG_1491.PNG

Yes, thank you , I can see this one now.

But can it be saved somewhere so it can be used in the future?
Save it to your pictures folder or desktop or some place you can find easily. When you want to use it go into manager attachments or even easier use the paper clip above the reply window.

Would you like me to scale it down for you?

Last edited:
Save it to your pictures folder or desktop or some place you can find easily. When you want to use it go into manager attachments or even easier use the paper clip above the reply window.

Would you like me to scale it down for you?
I tried to send you a smaller version by PM but I can't add attachments to PM's.

So here is a smaller version.

thumbs_up_50.jpg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom