Chili oil

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Greenveg

Assistant Cook
Hi,
I have been given a bottle of kimm & miller Mexican chilli oil. I have not used this before, and although I am no cooking expect, I was wondering how to use it. I like to cook steak on my griddle pan, and I normally rub in olive oil, salt and white pepper before cooking. Could I do this with this oil.
Regards.

I wouldn't cook with it. I suspect it's a condiment or finishing oil made to drizzle over foods that are already cooked. For example, scrambled eggs or meat, or even used (sparingly) in a citrus-based vinaigrette.

Mexican Chili oil? Does the bottle say what chili(s) were used to infuse the oil? It could be as mild as guajillo or as fiery as arbol, japone or pequin. I'd first try a little on the tip of my finger to determine heat level, then as Steve mentioned, use as a finishing oil and not a cooking oil.

Chilli oil

There is a label tied to the jar which says Ingredients : Sunflower oil, Dried red chilli flakes (6.7%), Dried red chillies (2.2&), Bay leaves, Flavouring.

There is a label tied to the jar which says Ingredients : Sunflower oil, Dried red chilli flakes (6.7%), Dried red chillies (2.2&), Bay leaves, Flavouring.

I'd just call it chili oil. I think "Mexican" is a stretch and of the Mexican foods I've made, none used bay leaves.

Flavouring? Con mucho sabor! :)

Be sure to refrigerate it after opening, or you might get to experience Moctezuma's nasty little gift.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom