Chocolate souffle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This is my favorite chocolate souffle recipe. It's very easy (it's the first souffle I ever made and it turned out great!) and is a bit unique, too, with the addition of chile powder. I'm sure you could omit it, if you prefer. What really sold me over on this recipe is that I prepared it ahead of time (by a couple hours), kept them in the fridge and then popped them in the oven while we ate dinner. They still rose beautifully.

Chocolate Chile Soufflés

1/4 cup sugar plus additional for coating gratin dishes
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon cold unsalted butter
1/2 cup milk
1/2 ounce semisweet chocolate, chopped fine
1/8 teaspoon cayenne
1 large egg yolk
2 large egg whites

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Butter two 3/4 cup gratin dishes and coat with additional sugar, shaking out excess.

In a small bowl blend together 2 tablespoons sugar, flour, butter and a pinch salt until mixture forms into small pellets.

In a small saucepan, bring milk to a boil and whisk in flour mixture, chocolate and cayenne. Cook mixture over moderate heat, whisking until thickened, about 15 seconds and cool 30 seconds.

In a bowl, whisk yolk lightly and whisk into chocolate mixture. In another bowl, whisk whites with a pinch of salt until they hold soft peaks and whisk in remaining 2 tablespoons sugar, a little at a time, until meringue holds stiff peaks. Fold in remaining meringue gently but thoroughly.

Divide soufflé batter between gratin dishes and put on a baking sheet. Bake chocolate soufflés in middle of oven for 15 minutes or until puffed. Serve immediately.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom