Cleaning oven racks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
yes, but . . .

I leave the oven racks in the oven when I do a self-cleaning cycle (it's the "super high heat, turns all dirt to ash type"). The racks, like the oven, are squeaky clean but the racks are no longer shiny chrome/stainless steel. They a re discolored.

Of course, your owners manual might have some suggestions.

Try placing the racks in a trash bag with a cup of old fashioned clear ammonia.

Seal the bag and let it sit for a day or two. Then wash/scrub the gunk away with hot soapy water and a green scrubby pad.

a word of caution/advice. . . .
leaving racks in for a self-clean does work - except:
if the racks are steel+chrome plated.... the plating likely/may peel off . . .
if the racks are stainless steel not coated/plated . . . they discolor from the heat. bothers DW, doesn't bother me.

DW tripped across a method of submerging in water, with dryer soft'ing sheets and liquid soap (Blue Dawn "required") -soak over night. all the stuff just floats off all the rack bits/pieces/crevasses/cracks . . . whatever. I was 'stunned'^3 when we did the first batch.

Becasuse I don't do my dishes right away after a meal, I spritz them with that new spritzer bottle of Dawn. Works for me! I'm not talking about the racks, of course.

But an interesting way you've got there dcSaute! I'll let my SIL know, even though she only uses organic stuff for her dishes - I'll let her borrow a bit from me, :whistling

I've posted the following before, I find it so funny. Dawn had a lot of ads for their product, maybe still do, showing that it is used it for rescuing baby ducks from oil spills. About how gentle it is and then, on their bottles it warns "It may irritate eyes. Keep out of eyes. Keep away from children... "

DW tripped across a method of submerging in water, with dryer soft'ing sheets and liquid soap (Blue Dawn "required") -soak over night. all the stuff just floats off all the rack bits/pieces/crevasses/cracks . . . whatever. I was 'stunned'^3 when we did the first batch.
In what container of water do you submerge your oven racks in?

Ive been "racking" my brain and I dont think there is anything in my house i could fill with water and sink my oven racks into

the container . . .
yeah, that is the drawback to the method.
however, it works so well,,, I went to Tractor Supply Company and bought a big black shallow plastic tray - "as sold" use is an 'under pet cage tray'

just did a quick check . . . oddly, no pix....

On a related note, I have a manufactured pizza stone I keep in the oven and I also leave that in the oven when I run the cleaning cycle.

the self clean cycles does wonderwork job on ceramic stones....
1709048118923.jpeg

Several comments...
It has been widely reported that the self cleaning function drastically shortens the life of today's ovens due to the extreme high heat used. It may have particularly caused the death of our previous oven.

With a foot of snow on the ground here it will be a long time before I'll be doing any outside garbage bag tricks and hosing the racks down.

I tried a thick paste of Bar Keepers Friend and water then waited 4 or 5 hours. It did OK but it was a lot of work.

Seems like I'll be trying the Dawn routine next.

BTW I used Members Mark Commercial Oven, Grill and Fryer Cleaner on the inside of the oven and it works amazingly well.

Several comments...
It has been widely reported that the self cleaning function drastically shortens the life of today's ovens due to the extreme high heat used. It may have particularly caused the death of our previous oven . . .
Not sure if this is the case globally. Maybe with certain brands. My GE Profile gas range has been in daily use for 24 years. The oven is cleaned regularly. Still going strong.

Not sure if this is the case globally. Maybe with certain brands. My GE Profile gas range has been in daily use for 24 years. The oven is cleaned regularly. Still going strong.
24 years old? That's not "today's ovens". They may not make them as well now as they did then.

Back
Top Bottom