Cooking Contest help, molecular gastronomy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cooke

Assistant Cook
Hey guys! I'm new to the forum and I need help quickly. I live in Northern California and my friends and I (all college students) are hosting the second in a set of cooking contests (with family members as judges) in five days. Having lost the first one, I really want to win this one, and have been looking for some pretty dramatic, shock and awe recipes that aren't actually very technical or difficult. I'm not a great cook. I considered some type of flambe, but now think I might go with some type of molecular gastronomy creation. I'm considering duck cooked as per this article (HowStuffWorks "Molecular Gastronomy Recipe Redux") which means browned and then microwaved. And then maybe an appetizer of smoked eel and chocolate disks as per current ideas on food pairing. Or oysters and kiwi. I'm a bit worried that all the subtleties of those dishes will pass me by today though. I tried to brown and then microwave a piece of duck today, pretty quickly, and it was very dry. So, does anyone have any advice for a dramatic, easy to medium range recipe which will surprise everyone, like a molecular gastronomy dish? I'd really appreciate it.

Welcome to DC and I'm sorry, but I have no ideas, I just cook! I wouldn't know where to start for Molecular Gastronomy.

That's alright. Other dramatic, but relatively simple recipes would be helpful too!

Creme Brulee is a pretty easy dessert dish. It is just basiscally a baked custard with a burnt sugar crust on top. You could make the brulee and use a torch (Yes, a big one) to burn the sugar. It makes an impressive presentation and folks like to use their spoons to break the sugar crust to get at the sweet custard underneath.

What about doing some recipes that "look" like one thing, but are really something completely different? For example, you could do a dessert that looks like a cheeseburger, but is really an ice cream sandwich. (use some kind of biscuits for a bun, chocolate ice cream or a chocolate patty for the burger, etc.) For main course you could do something that looks like a dessert but is really savoury.

The Surreal Gourmet does things like this sometimes and I've seen the concept used in various places. It's quite neat if executed correctly and I think it'd be easier to pull off than molecular gastronomy but would still have a "wow" factor. :)

I've got some links... i'll get back to you in a few w/ them.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom