Country Style Dinner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DebforNow

Assistant Cook
Does anyone have a recipe from the late 1960's or early 1970's called Country Style Dinner. It was a homemade hamburger helper made in a skillet and we had it often when I was a kid. I remember really liking it! Any ideas?:chef:

First, welcome to D.C.!
Now, I just had a flashback to the middle 70's....Whew!!!! :ohmy:
My first wife didn't/couldn't cook much more than Hamburger Helper.
I sometimes wonder how we survived it.
I ain't had Hamburger Helper since 1981.
I don't recall the Country Style dinner version at all.
I recommend homemade Salisbury steak and gravy, mashed potatoes, cornbread, iced tea and strawberry shortcake for dessert.

Can you give us some idea of what it tasted like, what some of the ingredients were? Was it tomato or cheese based? Any macaroni or other pasta?

Last edited:
I think what would have been called "country style dinner" in most places in the U.S. was indeed kind of like Hamburger Helper, but with somewhat more natural (or at least identifiable) ingredients.

One version might be ground meat, noodles, tomato sauce, butter, salt pepper, and shredded cheese. Cooked in a skillet (I think that's the "country style" part), browning the beef, adding all but the cheese, cooking until the noodles are done, and adding the cheese.

Most one pot dishes I see called "county style" are skillet dishes of meat supported by a mass of other ingredients that more or less solidify. But it can also be baked. A country style chicken dinner might have diced potatoes, vegetables, milk, cheese, chicken, and something to help thicken it.

Not very inspiring cuisine, but easy, not too expensive, reasonably good, and filling. I guess Down East, the New England boiled dinner occupies that place.

Burger, macaroni, onions, cream of mushroom soup. Other veggies as tolerated. That's what I thought of when I read the OP.

Sounds like my first try at cooking. Hamburger Helper seemed so simple that I made up my own versions: Ground beef, some kind of noodles, cream of something soup and seasoning to match. We called it Goop. "Country Style Dinner" sounds nicer.

Last edited:
Sounds like my first try at cooking. Hamburger Helper seemed so simple that I made up my own versions: Ground beef, some kind of noodles, cream of something soup and seasoning to match. We called it Goop. "Country Style Dinner" sounds nicer.

+1

Back
Top Bottom