Croissants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I hope my Dad likes them when they are done. I seem to remember making some with marmalade besides pain au chocolat. Those were rectangular, not shaped like a croissant.

I hope my Dad likes them when they are done. I seem to remember making some with marmalade besides pain au chocolat. Those were rectangular, not shaped like a croissant.
Oh my gosh, I just realized how I was taught how to make croissants is really anal. I have measured everything (mise en place) but haven't set/activated or warmed the yeast or warmed the milk and cream (or temped either) because I have to time these to come out at 11:30 on Sunday morning so they are buttery and hot. What is really anal is that I was taught to temp when setting the yeast, warming the milk and cream, and that the temp of the butter and the dough are the same temp before you start rolling and folding. That has to be really anal. Body temp was the temp I was taught for the dough and butter. I haven't made croissants for years, I had forgotten about using the thermometer to make sure everything was the perfect temp and weighing everything lol: I don't think one has to be quite that precise. Really, I have cut and measured the parchment paper for the butter flat, and now have all ingredients mise en place and the thermometer is on the ready. I am definitely going to take pictures. I missed the butter flat step, but maybe I can recreate it. I can't believe how anal the person who taught me how to make croissants was. They always turned out--hope this batch does!

Last edited:
PF--how long IS a donkey's year? I am just amazed at how detailed I remember this but can I find the recipe? NOOOO--the donkey must have eaten it.

PF--how long IS a donkey's year? I am just amazed at how detailed I remember this but can I find the recipe? NOOOO--the donkey must have eaten it.
400 g of flour split in 2 (about 4 c give or take), 75 g of sugar, 1/2 palm of salt (guessing that is 1/2 - 3/4 tsp)
2 pkgs yeast in 1/4 c water (100 F) with a quarter palm of sugar--guessing 1/4 tsp
1 egg, for wash, 250 ml of milk (whole) and 125 of heavy cream and 6" of butter, about 3 sticks with 50 g of flour...and I am winging the rest. It has to all be in the technique:LOL:. My Dad has been amazed at what I remember and the details I remember. My first memory of my Mom is when I was 17 months' old and "toilet trained" myself. (Okay, I fell in the toilet--she was on the phone). Every slide I looked at that was taken with my bro and I after I was 2-3, I remember not only where it was taken, but what he was saying to me because he always talked to me when we were supposed to say "cheese." Is it any wonder it was so frigging hard for me to pick out 150 slides out of how many?

I attribute my ability to remember things to the fact I studied 12 languages and had to compartmentalize so I didn't speak French when I was in Italian class or German class. And before anyone comments on having that kind of memory, definitely there are pros and cons. Unfortunately, I will always remember finding my bro dead, but I also always remember conversations, verbatim, I had with my grandparents who died 52 and 47 years' ago. I can still hear their voices in my ear.

Last edited:
400 g of flour split in 2 (about 4 c give or take), 75 g of sugar, 1/2 palm of salt (guessing that is 1/2 - 3/4 tsp)
2 pkgs yeast in 1/4 c water (100 F) with a quarter palm of sugar--guessing 1/4 tsp
1 egg, for wash, 250 ml of milk (whole) and 125 of heavy cream and 6" of butter, about 3 sticks with 50 g of flour...and I am winging the rest. It has to all be in the technique:LOL:. My Dad has been amazed at what I remember and the details I remember. My first memory of my Mom is when I was 17 months' old and "toilet trained" myself. (Okay, I fell in the toilet--she was on the phone). Every slide I looked at that was taken with my bro and I after I was 2-3, I remember not only where it was taken, but what he was saying to me because he always talked to me when we were supposed to say "cheese." Is it any wonder it was so frigging hard for me to pick out 150 slides out of how many?

I attribute my ability to remember things to the fact I studied 12 languages and had to compartmentalize so I didn't speak French when I was in Italian class or German class. And before anyone comments on having that kind of memory, definitely there are pros and cons. Unfortunately, I will always remember finding my bro dead, but I also always remember conversations, verbatim, I had with my grandparents who died 52 and 47 years' ago. I can still hear their voices in my ear.
If you think that is weird, you don't want to know what I can do with dreams. I can manipulate them, stop them, call them up months later and continue the storyline--in my dreams, I live in a parallel universe because I am watching--rarely do I or anyone I know, appear in my dreams. My dreams are movies. I wake up and think "who the &$%$$#$ were those people?"

My Dad would NOT get out of the kitchen when I was working on the "book" fold. I frigged that up, but I think they will still be okay. I am going to do the last letter fold around 9--can't see that it would hurt to let it sit longer? Then overnight. Going to have them for breakfast tomorrow. Dad wants pain au chocolat.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom