Cumin question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

User0204

Senior Cook
I have just come across this spice and am wondering what it tasted like - how strong it was as a spice and what it might be good to use in.

I am thinking about trying it in my sausage rolls if it isn't too strong.

It has an earthy taste. We buy cumin seed, toast just until you can smell it, cool, then grind in a dedicated for spices coffee grinder. It's not hot spicy. You can definitely add too much though. Find a recipe that has good reviews and follow it the first time.

It's used in a lot of southwestern dishes and Latin cuisines, chile powders.

Like MedTran said, it's used a lot in Latin and SW USA cuisine in particular, though I have seen recipes for other cultures that use it. Quite honestly, I never had it in my spice cabinet up until about 4 years ago. Her description is better than I could have given it.

Sounds like a "proceed with caution" approach then.

Yes, cumin is pretty strong. A little goes a long way. Start light, and add more if you want more. You can always add more, but you can't take it out if you use too much. If you are using a recipe, definitely start with less than what the recipe calls for.

It is used a lot in Mexican and TexMex foods. I use less than most people do, because I don't like it if I use as much as a lot of recipes call for.

CD

A couple more, including a vegan chile that you don't miss meat in at all. I usually serve with cornbread.

It's not in the recipe my DH posted, he wasn't great at rewriting and transcribing from cookbooks, but we always add about 3/4 to 1 tsp of ground cumin.

One of my favorite spices, too, being used a lot in Indian and Mexican dishes. I always buy in whole, by the pound, since most dishes call for it toasted, sometimes left whole, and it stores much better whole, as most spices do. I store some of it in smaller jars, and the remaining, larger amount of it in vacuum sealed bags - when I need more in the jars, I snip the corner of the vacuum sealed bag, refill the jars, then re-seal the bag. Keeps until I'm finished with it, and I start another pound!

Last edited:
Cumin can be overpowering
I use it in Indian and mediterrean cooking, and to a lesser extent in SE Asian cooking.
I also buy whole seeds

I have found that if you leave it out it changes the whole flavour profile of the dish... and not always for the better. I'm told that it is what makes Hot Dogs taste like Hot Dogs. :D

I have found that if you leave it out it changes the whole flavour profile of the dish... and not always for the better. I'm told that it is what makes Hot Dogs taste like Hot Dogs. :D

If I leave it out of Texas chili, flavor definitely suffers. But, if I use too much in that same chili, it ruins the whole pot of chili. I always start small, and taste later in the long cook. I add more as needed. I find cumin also sort of "blooms" over a long simmer -- another reason to start small, and add later.

I like cumin, as long as I don't go too heavy with it.

CD

I buy cumin whole, then grind it in my coffee/nut grinder. I like more more more and so far I haven't added too much. I didn't know that was possible. Now I know.

I use a fair bit of cumin. Always in Indian/Asian dishes and also in chilli. I definitely wouldn't put it in your sausage rolls! Not because it wouldn't taste nice, but it definitely won't get you the traditional Aussie flavour you are looking for.

I use a fair bit of cumin. Always in Indian/Asian dishes and also in chilli. I definitely wouldn't put it in your sausage rolls! Not because it wouldn't taste nice, but it definitely won't get you the traditional Aussie flavour you are looking for.
Yeah, that makes total sense to stick with flavors that are commonly used in Australia since that's likely the only ones that are in those sausage rolls!

@wombat457 has a bit of a cold or something and is down under the weather currently. I am sure he would rather be down under the equator...me too, for that matter. It's 16F outside!!!!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom