Differences between different types of skillets?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
As I said, a disk bottom pan can be a problem on a gas stovetop. If you have an electric stove, it will be fine. I don't think it would be the best choice for a gas stove.

I don't think you will find a good-quality fully clad SS pan for around $30, which is why I suggested the one I did. I just checked Cooks Illustrated - they did an update on reviewing 12-inch SS skillets in March. Their least-expensive recommended option is this one: All-Clad 41126 Stainless Steel Tri-Ply Bonded Dishwasher Safe 12-Inch Fry Pan with Lid / Cookware, Silver

Last edited:
I gotta go with Aluminum. Good quality commercial type cookware.
Anodized or shiny AL would be my choice.

Oven safe, riveted handles on everything. And lastly, aluminum is lightweight.
I have had my Calphalon pans for over 20 years and they work as good as the day I bought them. Maybe even better.

I do use non-stick in addition to aluminum.

Last edited:
If looking for values, I would check out the Cuisinart lines, especially the MultiClad or the French Classic line. Wait for the sale and you can get something quite cheap.

Sorry for bumping a dormant thread, but earlier it was mentioned that cast iron is not good for tomatoes. Can somebody explain?

I do 95% of my cooking in a cast iron skillet, which sometimes includes tomatoes. I've never noticed any "problems" but I guess I don't have the benefit of comparison to know what I might be missing.

No biggie. Acidic foods like tomatoes tend to leach a small amount of iron from the CI pan into the food. It's not unsafe.

Last edited:
Tramontina is good stuff I have a few pieces and really like them. An excellent value.
I like my Tramontina 16 l pot. A friend bought it in the late '70s. When her hubby died, it was too big, so I traded her a smaller one for it. It is pricey, but nice.

Back
Top Bottom