Dinner Thread for Wednsday, Oct. 20

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
Tonight will be gyros. I made the gyro meat yesterday, from two lbs. of antelope meat that I put through the smallest plate on my grinder, along with the spices, and whole peppercorns. Mixed to a paste consistency. Made the tzatziki sauce this morning. The dough is rising as I type this for the homemade pitas. I'll take pictures when it's all ready to serve up.
I took a half dollar sized bit of the meat, and fried it up to test the seasonings. It's tasty:chef:.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Chicken Cacciatore over Spaghetti...

Chicken Cacciatore.jpg

I had to run errands in Sturbridge. BT's Smokehouse is in Sturbridge. No brainer: BT's ribs for supper. I bought corn muffins, opened a can of baked beans, and reheated some of my mac and cheese. Dinner!

IMG_20211020_195318347_HDR.jpg

We got another grocery delivery today, this time from a supermarket, so I wasn't up for cooking, again. I heated some kibbeh and some onion bhajis that came with yesterday's delivery. I also heated some "Bâton Rouge Frozen Louisiana Style Seasoned French Fries" (Bâton Rouge is a local resto chain.). That was plenty of food for me. DH also had a ham and cheese with lettuce sandwich on some toasted, whole grain wheat, sourdough miche (round bread loaf) with mayo. Each of the three things I heated had to go in at different temperatures, 300°F, 400°F, and 450°F, which is why I used both oven and toaster oven. It was tasty. I will probably buy those bhajis again and definitely buy the kibbeh again, such great flavour. I had never tried kibbeh before.

Looking forward to seeing more of your handy work there Chief.

LT, that looks delicioso!

Mom, Missus Next-Door-Neighbor and I went to our Communities Bingo Game, it was a blast! I won a round and got a gift card for the restaurant we had just so happened to choose for linner afterwards, Texas Roadhouse.

I wasn't real keen on the place, as DH and I had been to one back in probably 2008 on our way through Las Cruces New Mexico, ACK! It was a dump!

But Missus N-D-N loves this location, said that it was really good and order the Fillet.

IMG_0980.jpg

So I did, with add-ons of Mushrooms and grilled Shrimp.
My two sides were a Caesar Salad and Green Beans.

IMG_0978.jpg

Mom ordered the Sirloin

IMG_0979.jpg

And Mrs. N-D-N had the "Killer Ribs" - she said it was a bit dry, offered me a bite and I agreed - needed some sort of sauce, so she poured out a touch of the House Steak Sauce - much better.

Ok, here are my pictures. Hope it looks good to you. It tasted great to us. We followed up with strawberry floats foe desert, Bryer's Strawberry Ice Cream with Sunkist Strawberry Soda. That was a big hit too. One gyro, and a float, and I'm stuffed.:LOL:

Seeeeya; Chef Lpmgwind of the North

Attachments

• 20211020_172651.jpg
    20211020_172651.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 28
  • 20211020_172822.jpg
    20211020_172822.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 31
  • 20211020_180100.jpg
    20211020_180100.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 29
  • 20211020_180216.jpg
    20211020_180216.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 27
  • 20211020_180814.jpg
    20211020_180814.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 30
Looks great to me, Chief!

Speaking of frozen TV dinners, I gave a presentation about growing, preserving and using culinary herbs this evening, so for an easy dinner, DH heated up a couple frozen pot pies. Ice cream for dessert.

Portobello Mushroom "fajitas." Just like steak fajitas, but using sliced portobello mushrooms as the "meat." Portobello mushrooms are a very meaty shroom. Just add the typical grilled peppers and onions, and whatever you like on fajitas. You can even go vegan on these.

CD

Fajitas weren't really popular until the 1980's. I believe they originated in West Texas. They came about as beef workers were often partially paid in beef, with neck, head meat, and skirt steak making up the bulk of it. The skirt steak was cut into strips, and marinated to make it more tender, then grilled over hot coals, or pan fried, and placed on a soft tortilla along with grilled pepper, and onion strips. The fajita now means to cook strips of marinated beef, poultry, or other meats with the cooked veggies. Now, sirloin is often used in place of skirt steak. The word fajita, in Spanish means strip, or belt. Now, you can add to them guacamole, refried beans, hot peppers, picot de galloo, cilantro, and other toppings. It's interesting to know the history of foods.

Some pretty great looking and sounding meals, above!

I went for something simple. I needed to use up a good deal of basil, as I intend to end that older basil plant soon (want to grow flowers in the kitchen and I have plenty of basil on the way in a new garden). DH wants pizza, and I'll make him some pizza with basil, but I need to use big amounts, so I made another of his favorites, Chicken with Basil over steamed Jasmine rice and a side of mac salad, inspired by K-Girls comment on Tuesday's thread, I think it was? Anyway, it was great and easy too. Yum!

IMG_5665 (2).jpg

Some pretty great looking and sounding meals, above!

I went for something simple. I needed to use up a good deal of basil, as I intend to end that older basil plant soon (want to grow flowers in the kitchen and I have plenty of basil on the way in a new garden). DH wants pizza, and I'll make him some pizza with basil, but I need to use big amounts, so I made another of his favorites, Chicken with Basil over steamed Jasmine rice and a side of mac salad, inspired by K-Girls comment on Tuesday's thread, I think it was? Anyway, it was great and easy too. Yum!

View attachment 49440

Did you try my recipe Ginny?

Did you try my recipe Ginny?

Uh, oh! I didn't know you had one posted. I'll look for it for next time!!!

This time, I used an old recipe...mostly. LOL. I have a few that I use, including some that I've created to re-create a local Hawaiian Restaurant version. They kind of live on "Hawaii Time" as we call it, as one never knows if they will be open today or not. ;) Surf's up, maybe?

Uh, oh! I didn't know you had one posted. I'll look for it for next time!!!

This time, I used an old recipe...mostly. LOL. I have a few that I use, including some that I've created to re-create a local Hawaiian Restaurant version. They kind of live on "Hawaii Time" as we call it, as one never knows if they will be open today or not. ;) Surf's up, maybe?

Ya'know Ginny, I don't think that I ever have posted my version of Mac Salad.
My take is a riff from a restaurant back home in Hawaii, probably similar to the place that you go to in the PNW, loads of Ex-Pats there!

here is it:
https://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f11/my-copycat-zippys-macaroni-salad-108295.html#post1665237

Ya'know Ginny, I don't think that I ever have posted my version of Mac Salad.
My take is a riff from a restaurant back home in Hawaii, probably similar to the place that you go to in the PNW, loads of Ex-Pats there!

here is it:
https://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f11/my-copycat-zippys-macaroni-salad-108295.html#post1665237

Thanks so much! It is similar to my old stand-by recipe. Different than some of the Hawaiian places around here. Many of them add ACV. I have a recipe like that too, that I like to use with BBQ, from time to time. I like to switch things up! ;)

Thanks again K-Girl!

Thanks so much! It is similar to my old stand-by recipe. Different than some of the Hawaiian places around here. Many of them add ACV. I have a recipe like that too, that I like to use with BBQ, from time to time. I like to switch things up! ;)

Thanks again K-Girl!

Yeah, I'm not a fan of adding Vinegar to my Mac Salad.
Which Hawaiian places do you have by you, Ginny?
I'm thinkin' L&L Drive In Hawaiian Barbecue, huge franchise operation.

Yeah, I'm not a fan of adding Vinegar to my Mac Salad.
Which Hawaiian places do you have by you, Ginny?
I'm thinkin' L&L Drive In Hawaiian Barbecue, huge franchise operation.

The one we used to frequent most is Hula Boy Charbroil (friend of a friend owns it). I like Patrick's Hawaiian Cafe a lot, especially Patrick...LOL. He's very nice and has good food. Kiawe Island Bistro is probably the closest to us, but they are very hit or miss on being open. There's a Hawaiian Style Grill too, but we've never tried it. I don't think any of them are franchise. All owner-operated type places. All very different too.

The Hawaiian restaurants and the Thai restaurants are probably our best food options for restaurants. JMO

Tonight will be gyros. I made the gyro meat yesterday, from two lbs. of antelope meat that I put through the smallest plate on my grinder, along with the spices, and whole peppercorns. Mixed to a paste consistency. Made the tzatziki sauce this morning. The dough is rising as I type this for the homemade pitas. I'll take pictures when it's all ready to serve up.
I took a half dollar sized bit of the meat, and fried it up to test the seasonings. It's tasty:chef:.

Never had antelope meat, but I love the whole Greek vibe of this - home made tzatziki and pittas too - room for one more?

Never had antelope meat, but I love the whole Greek vibe of this - home made tzatziki and pittas too - room for one more?

i have lots of leftovers. Come on over. i think it's a long walk/swim from you to me though. Better breakout the transporter, aka Star Trek.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom