Dinner Wednesday, 1-24-2018 ~ National Peanut Butter Day

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I still have three packages of Honey Baked Ham in the deep freeze.
So I broke one out and will serve it up later this evening with steamed Sweet Potato (thank you Steve for that suggestion to cut back on the sugar by steamed rather than baking a sweet potato) and some steamed fresh Green Beans.

I have my book club meeting tonight. I made meatballs with marinara sauce and a new-to-me bread - fougasse! I'll talk more about it in the baking thread.
IMG_20180124_163827_115.jpg

Caviar on toast points with creme fraiche if wanted. Eggs cocotte over duxelles with a little bit of grated gruyere and some black truffle shavings from our seems like never ending black truffle. And a side salad.

Attachments

• 2018-01-24 18.00.05.jpg
    2018-01-24 18.00.05.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 125
  • 2018-01-24 18.10.15.jpg
    2018-01-24 18.10.15.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 172
Dad wanted hot turkey sandwiches. Mom has a hard time eating that. My compromise was a hot turkey sandwich hotdish (casserole for those not from Minnesota), broccoli, tossed salad for Dad; cottage cheese and pineapple for Mom.

Weird combo of leftovers for me tonight.

A little eftover shrimp and broccoli in garlic sauce, a little leftover spaghetti, and 3 leftover buffalo wings.

Bacon and egg casserole and banana bread. I used apple sauce in place of butter in the banana bread.

I had some leftover rotisserie chicken, so I made chicken tortilla soup with home fried corn tortilla wedges. Black beans/onion/fire roasted corn/red and green bell pepper was colorful in the chicken stock with a can of Rotel Mexican tomatoes. Yumm, and enough for lunches.

Last edited:
I still have three packages of Honey Baked Ham in the deep freeze.
So I broke one out and will serve it up later this evening with steamed Sweet Potato (thank you Steve for that suggestion to cut back on the sugar by steamed rather than baking a sweet potato) and some steamed fresh Green Beans.

008.JPG

Oh MAN! I'm stuffed!
That was really good... DH and I were talking about this Honey Baked Ham over dinner and have decided that the next time go back down to S.AZ we'll buy another boneless Ham to stash in the deep freeze :yum:
And Steve... steamed Sweet Potatoes are the way to go!
Not mushy and sticky, ooey-gooey sweet but firm-ish and savory...
It dawned on me as I was cooking them, that this is how we cooked any sort of tuber in Hawaii.

Mmmm....wonderful sounding hearty dishes this evening.

CG and Kay....I LOVE the sound of those soups. Dang, it's hard to cook things like that for one unless I'm sure I can commit to enjoying them for several days, or they freeze well. :chef::LOL:

This afternoon's dinner was a meatball (they multiply in the freezer) sandwich on a toasted French roll. I spread a little marinara sauce on the roll and was out of mozzarella, so topped the hot meatballs with Havarti. Roasted sweet potato wedges sprinkled with cinnamon for a side. I was only able to finish half of the sandwich so the other half will get warmed up for breakfast tomorrow. :)

I had a senior moment, and left a primary ingredient out to thaw... last night. I found it this afternoon. Soooo, I ended up playing like a kid with a chemistry set, and experimenting with a few food items, and eating the results.

It was a pretty eclectic mix of stuff, that will eventually end up in one of my mad scientist cooks. A lot of the experimenting involved my deep fryer. I learned a lot about a deep fryer and corn tortillas.

I ate a bunch of corn tortillas deep fried to varying degrees. They can go from warm and tender, to what are basically tortilla chips. I pulled some out of the hot oil and wrapped them around a 1-inch wooden dowel. If you time it right, you get a crispy taco shell that doesn't turn to crumbs when you take the first bite of your taco.

I love to play with my food. I didn't actually have a "meal" tonight, but I ate a bunch of food. I haven't done that in a while. I enjoyed it. I love discovering things. I probably could have learned what I learned today from a Google search, but there is something special about learning by diving into the ocean, and seeing what's under the water, to use a nautical metaphor.

CD

Back
Top Bottom