Do You Have A “Secret Weapon?"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Actually, consumption of dog meat is legal in both Canada and Australia. And it's not uncommon in several Asian countries. Close to 30 million dogs per year are killed for human consumption. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dog_meat
Well, maybe that particular guy did not eat dog meat.
I had Korean "friends", they were North Koreans, back in my soviet days in the university. There was a stray dog living in the court yard of the dormitory. One day Koreans were having a big party. But after that party, there was no more stray dog in the court yard. And no, it doesn't taste like chicken.

I remember my uncle, taking my parents and me showing us around all the areas of LA, when we were visiting him, in the early 90s. When he took us through the area known as "Little Saigon", he asked if we noticed anything about the area? We didn't really notice anything; I noticed it was fairly clean, but I didn't know where he was going with it. He said something like "You won't see any stray dogs and cats anywhere in the area, whereas in most areas the strays are everywhere there are dumpsters." He wasn't kidding. They were nowhere in that area!

I remember my uncle, taking my parents and me showing us around all the areas of LA, when we were visiting him, in the early 90s. When he took us through the area known as "Little Saigon", he asked if we noticed anything about the area? We didn't really notice anything; I noticed it was fairly clean, but I didn't know where he was going with it. He said something like "You won't see any stray dogs and cats anywhere in the area, whereas in most areas the strays are everywhere there are dumpsters." He wasn't kidding. They were nowhere in that area!

I grew up in a city with a large Vietnamese population. My family never worried about our pets. Don't believe everything you hear from uncles.

CD

As far as Vegemite/marmite, which one is. . . better? I want to try them but people say they both taste medicinal. Is there one that would be more "beginner friendly" to try before the other?

I definitely wouldn't agree that Marmite tastes medicinal. It IS very salty though. So a little goes a long way. I haven't tried Vegemite so I can't comment on how (or if) they differ. Whichever one you try though - I would suggest making a piece of toast, buttering it liberally, then smearing a little Marmite/Vegemite across the top. That way you will get an "introduction" to it without being overwhelmed. (Do not, under any circumstances, just dip into it with a spoon and eat it!!)

Well then...

Here are some quick secret weapons-

Any recipe for chocolate cake or brownies that tells you to butter/grease and flour the pan for easier release I translate to butter/grease the pan and use Cocoa Powder instead. I never liked a thin layer of Roux on a cake, this achieves the same function, and adds more chocolate flavor.

Pomegranate Molasses added to the butter and sugar for a Pineapple upside down cake. Works in most fruit applications of any type.

Sweet Vermouth to cut the acid in Tomato sauce or soup instead of white sugar. (The only thing I found to use it up!)

Italian style Garlic toast- Toast hearty bread on a Char grill, gently rub a cut clove of raw garlic over the cut surface in a "Z" motion, not on same line. Three lines for a Baguette size loaf to start with and adjust from there. Place dish/dishes of Olive oil on table. Each person tears off a bite and dips as much or little oil as they want before popping in mouth. (double dip discouraged)

Pate Choux (Cream puff paste) for it's versatility. For savory usage, omit sugar and add dill for Shrimp, Salmon or Tuna salad puffs, add poultry seasoning for chicken salad, Try making Gougere!
Whether sweet or savory, Profiterole size puffs can be frozen raw, then stored in a freezer bag, and put directly into a 400 degree oven and ready in 15 minutes. I always had Gougere ready using this method.
Use as a construction material! I've made a computer with screen, keyboard, and a mouse for Secretaries Day. Made a Dump truck for a friends boy that loved dump trucks. For this application you pipe or spread in thin layer like 1/4 inch or 3mm. Circles for tires. rectangles for the body parts, etc. Make a race car, Jet plane, Animals can be made with two thin silhouettes, a filling like Ganache, and then they can stand.

If there are questions just ask!

Like the idea of Sweet Vermouth for tomato paste. Never found that sugar worked.

Red wine as depth to a tomato sauce as well.

As to the Marmite/Vegemite question, they are all pretty salty (including Bovril) but the saving point is you can always use them as a booster to sauces. Only Brits and Aussies seem to have it on toast. I rather imagine most others use it like they do the Better than Bouillon paste.
It is really just a flavour concentrate - I often make a broth to just drink with any of the above. One or two tsp per 1 cup of boiling water (it's salty so you have to figure out just how you like it.)

Last edited:
Another quick one...

"Do you have any Herbal Tea?"

Yes, if you have Rosemary in the house!
I always do... How about you?

Another one- Get a metal Tea Ball, perfect for the rosemary tea also perfect for quick removal of Bay leaves, Whole peppercorns, whole cloves, cinnamon sticks, etc.

Bacon cooked crisp, and ground fine in chopper. Add to dips. Everyone asks what the secret is. Sometimes I tell them. :winkiss:

I just want you to know.jpg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom