Do you use bay leaves?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
GG, several points.
Garden Centers sell them as annuals, not as perenials.
It is native to the Mediterranean region.
The Toronto Master Gardeners recommend/say in Canada, bring it in for the winter.
So remembering this is Canada with severe winters, certainly compared to the Virginia's ;), and even Larry's in New Jersey, I brought it in.
The fact it did not survive was completely due to the incompetence of the person in charge, namely... moi. My space inside is severely limited and the garage is not heated, it would still have frozen in there.
Not that it makes a difference, But I'm in NY ( Long Island) not Jersey ;)

GG, several points.
The Toronto Master Gardeners recommend/say in Canada, bring it in for the winter.
So remembering this is Canada with severe winters, certainly compared to the Virginia's ;), and even Larry's in New Jersey, I brought it in.
The fact it did not survive was completely due to the incompetence of the person in charge, namely... moi. My space inside is severely limited and the garage is not heated, it would still have frozen in there.
I know all of that 😉 I grew up in Michigan, remember? Right next door to Toronto.

The point I was trying to make is that several times, I thought mine had died when it had simply lost its leaves during the winter inside. I was wondering if that might have happened to yours and it might have started growing again in the spring. I was certainly not suggesting that you should plant it outside! 😁

Last edited:
GG, several points.
My area, in Southern NJ, is borderline for being able to leave them out, much like rosemary. But it would have to be very mild winters, otherwise, they won't survive.

For keeping it as small as possible, in pots smallish, here's something you'll want to do - keep it to just one stalk. Like my curry tree, this thing sends up shoots every spring (probably other times, too), and I don't know what the term is for that, but it will end up with basically more than one plant in the pot, unless you are diligent about snipping off those new shoots. Just looks like a weed popping up! You can actually go underground, and follow it to the roots, and make another plant out of it. For someone else, of course.

GG - oops, forgot you are/were a Michigonian. (is that a word?) But you are right, I will try again and not give up, and keep my claws crossed it has just gone dormant - like some of my relatives. Truthfully, like peach trees, can't grow them here but just a little closer to Niagara (Falls)and I would be able to.
Larry - another oops, :doh: Lawng Island, New Yawk. (ok, really bad New York city accent? is Long Island more upper crusty? :innocent:)

Thanks Pepper, I had the most beautiful Rosemary bush for years, which was brought in and out with the seasons. Unfortunately the move here finally did it in.
It is late in the season but maybe I can find one in a nursery.

Last edited:
GG - oops, forgot you are/were a Michigonian. (is that a word?) But you are right, I will try again and not give up, and keep my claws crossed it has just gone dormant - like some of my relatives. Truthfully, like peach trees, can't grow them here but just a little closer to Niagara (Falls)and I would be able to.
Larry - another oops, :doh: Lawng Island, New Yawk. (ok, really bad New York city accent? is Long Island more upper crusty? :innocent:)

Thanks Pepper, I had the most beautiful Rosemary bush for years, which was brought in and out with the seasons. Unfortunately the move here finally did it in.
It is late in the season but maybe I can find one in a nursery.
I usually get rosemary plants from grocery stores. Heck, you can probably propagate it from live stems of rosemary from the grocery store, if they don't have any plants.

I'm going to be looking for Bay Laurel, taxy. Not Rosemary. Already got a rosemary this spring.

Now if I could just find some tarragon....

I'm going to be looking for Bay Laurel, taxy. Not Rosemary. Already got a rosemary this spring.

Now if I could just find some tarragon....
It wasn't clear from your reply, since you had just mentioned the rosemary. Yeah, it might be late in the season to get a bay tree, but you might just get a bargain.

I usually get rosemary plants from grocery stores. Heck, you can probably propagate it from live stems of rosemary from the grocery store, if they don't have any plants.
1690975268920.jpeg

LOL - those sure don't look like basil or thyme to me!

msmofet - have you done these? or at least one or two of them?
and the base stems didn't rot?

msmofet - have you done these? or at least one or two of them?
and the base stems didn't rot?
My mom did. She had glasses of fresh herbs on the sills all year long.

That thyme looks like dill to me, but what do I know - thyme is one of the herbs I don't grow, because it is a relative p.i.t.a. to strip the tiny leaves from the stems, fresh or dried. But I do grow thyme scented oregano, or Syrian oregano, which has larger leaves, and easy to strip. Often used as the thyme scent in the zaatar mix, instead of the true zaatar, which is a different species.

Out of curiosity, I looked at Richter's Herbs website, to see if there was some "frilly" sounding thyme variety in their 30 or so varieties, but the only one that sounded different was "Wooly Thyme", but it different look much better. Even more than 30 types of basil, so that basil could easily be one of those! :LOL:

Here's a photo of that thyme scented oregano, showing the larger leaves. Not extremely cold resistant - every year I take several cuttings from it, and save them on my back porch, and last year it got down to 7° and killed the cluster of it outside, despite being under about 6" of straw. It survives on the porch - I wouldn't do that with the bay laurel or others inside, but it is somewhat cold hardy, like rosemary, which I also keep some of out there.
Thyme scented oregano, a.k.a. Syrian oregano. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Mint is supposed to grow like a weed in Britain but I have no luck with it at all. (Tiny pot growing currently, but so small I feel mean taking any leaves from it!) My Bay plant - which nearly died in a pot - is now flourishing, (replanted in the ground) and I absolutely adore going out in any weather to take some leaves from it!

My mom had several varieties of mint growing like weeds both place she/we lived. The outside cats loved it. Always found several napping in the patch. She used it for many recipes I remember tea, and a dish with fried zucchini slices, oil, and mint.

has to have been cat-nip! LOL, it is a type of mint!
I once sent my son out to the garden to get some mint for a salad. Was only much later we discovered he had picked the cat-nip. Was very tasty!

Back
Top Bottom