Do zip lock food bag ever expire?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A plastic grocery bag of course, can be used forever, but a zip lock bag for contacting the food directly should be used for too many times for hygiene reason.

I definitely reuse zip loc bags for storing food but won't go too many times

Here most plastic grocery bags are now dis-integrating rather quickly (yeah, :ermm: ask me how I know).

whether or not your plastic container is rigid or not, it all depends on how you wash/clean/sanitize it.

If you are just talking hygiene, plastic grocery bag/zip lock/rigid or soft. They are all plastic. Plastic does and will absorb oils.

If you could specify EXACTLY what you are using your bags for and what you want from those bags, we would not have to play a guessing game to the answers you seem to be searching for.

For instance:
are you storing these bags in the fridge? or the freezer? or the cupboard?
are the items liquid? solids? ex: milk/sauces - hard cheese/soft cheese?
are they to be stored overnight? for days? weeks? months?

an example of overnight - sandwiches to take for lunch the next day.

Absolutely, it's a great opportunity to save some money and stock up! Ziplock bags are pretty durable, and if you keep them in a cool, dry place, they should stay in good shape for a long time. I've had some in my kitchen for ages, and they've never let me down.

I reuse zip lock bags, mostly for washed prepped produce, washing them between using. I also reuse heavier duty bread bags, so those from bagels or tortillas are thicker and wash and dry easily.

Spending money to save money rarely works to my advantage.

It seems like the more of anything I have the more I waste, give away, lose to damage, etc…

I would focus on how to use and reuse the plastic bags that come into my life and try to keep my purchases to a minimum.

I reuse plastic bread, produce bags, food storage containers, etc…

The plastic bags that are not suitable for food storage usually end up being reused as garbage bags.

“Scrimp on the necessities so you can splurge on the luxuries!” - Aunt Bea 😉

Until recently, I saved all the plastic bags that toilet paper comes in and before that, the bags they kept giving me at stores, and used those for garbage. But, every fourth or fifth time or so, they would leak and I would have to wash the bucket that I use as a kitchen garbage can. DH found a roll of garbage bag in the basement, left behind by some repair workers. I started using those and, no more leaks. When that roll of bags runs out, I will buy garbage bags of the same brand and type. I still reuse the ones that TP comes in, but only for waste baskets that have almost only dry garbage. I'm happy to skimp, but not when it gives me unpleasant work.

Absolutely, it's a great opportunity to save some money and stock up! Ziplock bags are pretty durable, and if you keep them in a cool, dry place, they should stay in good shape for a long time. I've had some in my kitchen for ages, and they've never let me down.
But hey, if you're considering buying a lot, it might be worth looking into custom reclosable bags, too. They come in handy for various purposes, and you can even personalize them with labels, making organization a breeze. I discovered them a while back, and they've been a game-changer for keeping things neat and tidy. Here's the link if you want to check them out: https://www.interplas.com/reclosable-bags/custоm-reclosable-bags.

If I repackage dry goods, like flax seed, white wheat, or rye berries, I write on the zip lock bags with permanent markers. After I empty them, I can remove the marker with rubbing alcohol.

I remove the writing done with "permanent markers" with alcohol too. It can be handy for getting it off of hands or clothing too.

Back
Top Bottom