Dulce de Leche

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheNoodleIncident

Senior Cook
for some reason im craving dulce de leche...the funny part is that i dont think ive ever had it before! i can imagine what it tastes like, and in my mind its very good...."milky caramel"

anyway, ive seen some of the methods for making it....the long ones require either boiling a can of sweetened condensed milk, or boiling condensed milk/milk + sugar in a pot, for a few hours....ive also seen some quick versions that allow you to just microwave the stuff, and its done in under 15 min

anyone ever use a quick method that produces good results? good enough for a first timer? as easy as it is, i really just dont feel like sitting around for a few hours watching something boil, but im not sure if the proper caramelization will occur with a quick method

oh, one more thing - im more interested in a thinner, "sauce" version for pouring over ice cream or other things (i.e. fingers)....less interested in the thicker "candy" style...though i assume the main difference between the two is cooking time...

If I make it I just take a can of sweetened condensed milk, place it in a dutch over or other big sauce pot and boil it in water for 4 hours. You have to leave it completely covered or the can could explode(or so I'm told).

for some reason im craving dulce de leche...the funny part is that i dont think ive ever had it before! i can imagine what it tastes like, and in my mind its very good...."milky caramel"

anyway, ive seen some of the methods for making it....the long ones require either boiling a can of sweetened condensed milk, or boiling condensed milk/milk + sugar in a pot, for a few hours....ive also seen some quick versions that allow you to just microwave the stuff, and its done in under 15 min

anyone ever use a quick method that produces good results? good enough for a first timer? as easy as it is, i really just dont feel like sitting around for a few hours watching something boil, but im not sure if the proper caramelization will occur with a quick method

oh, one more thing - im more interested in a thinner, "sauce" version for pouring over ice cream or other things (i.e. fingers)....less interested in the thicker "candy" style...though i assume the main difference between the two is cooking time...

Dulce de Leche Recipe : Alton Brown : Food Network

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks for the links, but it was actually that episode of good eats that got me interested in the first place....problem is that that recipe still takes up to two hours

im wondering if the easy microwave versions are an acceptable substitute for a quick dulce de leche, or if the results are just really not all that good

Cajeta

thanks for the links, but it was actually that episode of good eats that got me interested in the first place....problem is that that recipe still takes up to two hours

im wondering if the easy microwave versions are an acceptable substitute for a quick dulce de leche, or if the results are just really not all that good

I suggest you use Cajeta, its a Mexican caramel sauce and you can but it in a Mexican grocery or any Latin food sections in your area. We usually uses this when we are making candies and goodies, also good toppings for ice cream. Hope this helps
cajetaA.jpg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom