Easter dinner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Claire

Master Chef
I grew up with ham being our Easter dinner. My husband grew up with lamb. This year I went with a leg of lamb because we just barely ate the last of the ham from New Years. I'm trying to remember how Mom did it. She used to stab it with a paring knife and then put in a clove of garlic. Salt and coarse ground pepper on the ouside. This is NOT the first time I've roasted a leg of lamb, but it has been a decade or so.

Well, that's it, Claire! I love rosemary so I push a leaf into each hole along with the garlic. You can sprinkle some on top or just lay a couple of stems over the roast.

Roast at 350 until the internal temperature is 145, for it to still be pink inside. Let rest before slicing.

mmmmmm wish I had some!

Lee

Yep, also toss a bit of fresh rosemary into the slits.

Enjoy.

i'm doing a pork rib roast, roasted with potatoes, carrots and onions, will pull a bread out of the freezer and yesterday i made a simple chocolate cornstarch pudding with fresh milk. that may be it!

DH's partner and one of his daughters are joining us,also the usual kids and babies..so we are really having lots of veggies. I took several dozen spears of asparagus and wrapped them in bundles of 3 with proscuitto, when I got them all done I made a mix of buttered bread crumbs, finely chopped parsley,parmeasan cheese, some onion and garlic powder, salt and pepper, the zest of one lemon and it's juice this I put on top like a stuffing.Will roast them in the oven. There is also corn on the cob in foil, with butter,thyme,salt and pepper to grill,baby artichokes,with parsley,garlic,evoo and butter..We are having a seafood salad, a fruit salad, a shredded carrot, pineapple bits, golden raisins alll mixed with some sour cream and a little mayo, green salad with chopped parsley, a little mint and cilantro, avocado, thin sliced red onion and grape tomatoes with a citrus vinegrette.There is a very large spiral cut ham, wheat rolls, and scalloped potatoes with parm, and a mix of white cheeses plus an herbed,garlic cream cheese mixture, some cream, butter and salt and pepper..Desserts, chocolate cups willed with ice cream and brownies and ice cream..plus lots of colored eggs for the kids to find:LOL:
Happy Easter

kadesma:)

I'm roasting a chicken in my rotisserie, rosemary/shallot new potatoes, roasted asparagus, spinach salad with blood orange vinaigrette.

I wanted lamb so I may stop by Claire's house for a nibble! :LOL:

I got the last of the Butchers Reserve Beef Prime Rib Roast at Vons two days ago. It's frozen so it's thawing. Shallot bleu cheese mashed potatoes, creamed baby peas and pearl onions [like gramma used to make] a special treat for the bread part of the meal via a special person in here sent via PM yesterday, my version of Capital Grills bleu cheese walnut iceberg slab salad, and a smaller version of lemon meringue lemon supreme pie like at Bakers Square. DH loves it. Won't be fun figuring out the ingredients and how to minimize them but I'll figure it out. He'll love it when he gets home from work. Yep, he had to go in today, sick boy and all...:(

Happy Easter again to you all............

Attachments

• prayinghandstag.jpg
    prayinghandstag.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 193
  • Tageasterbunnylove.gif
    Tageasterbunnylove.gif
    34.7 KB · Views: 87
Well, since we don't do Easter until the Greeks do... tonights dinner will be a giant salad
and a few bites of left over pasta from last night.

We can't wait for Greekster!! That will be a Greek feast.

Don't really celebrate Easter here. But do enjoy any cooking holiday.

Going to try my hand at chicken or salmon/spinach/mushroom crepes w a white sauce - Roasted artichokes, grapefruit salad, & have a chocolate cheesecake ready to go. Wanted to make lemon/cheese tartlets with strawberry fans - but may have to wait till next time.

Last edited:
For some reason we tend not to cook every Easter. After mass,(church) there is usually coffee, tea, mulled biscuits etc etc, we then get home and the kids do the egg hunt then after they have stuffed themselves we opt for a late lunch at the local sports center. It's a walking distance. I had fillet of perch, salad and french fries,(My daughter did as well) DH had a lovely steak and son had a pizza, we then walked home just as it had started snowing again.

Traditionally, growing up it was always ham, scalloped potatoes, carrots, and other veggies. My Mom would make a huge meal for all the family. In later years when she took sick, I took over the tradition and the family has grown smaller with the passing of Aunts and Uncles and my Mom. Now that my Dad is alone, he still wants the tradition of hosting Easter; however he doesn't cook - He takes us to a restaurant appropriately called "Home". They usually have a traditional ham dinner special at Easter and all their meals are real comfort food. It will just be my Dad, Sister and DH.

Breaking tradition here since it's just dh and myself. Instead of ham, I am making ribs, pizza, mac salad. Leftover pie for dessert. I did make brunch earlier today after church for the kids before they headed off to their other destinations.

My sister hosted Easter dinner this year and somehow she got out of making anything. My mom made the ham, green beans, potato salad and rolls. I made the mac and cheese and the banana pudding.
Tonight's dinner will be leftovers - and some chocolates the Easter bunny brought us.

Well, we went to our favourite restaurant, "Home", as I mentioned, only to find an empty parking lot and a sign on the door "closed for mechanical reasons, reopening Tuesday". Well none of us wanted to fast that long so we went to another restaurant down the street. After waiting a very long time and seeing everyone else around us being served our dinner arrived and it was well worth the wait.

I had canneloni stuffed with a mousse of carmelized wild mushrooms and proscuitto, covered in a tomato cream sauce and tons of parmesan cheese with Caesar salad and garlic bread on the side. I ate everthing but the garlic bread.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom