Eggplant

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My father "loved" them breaded and fried. That's how I was introduced to them. I still much prefer them this way. Think of them as 'creamy' inside a beautifully crisp coating.
Frying them in butter is also (to me) a prerequisite. Only a tad sprinkle of salt is then needed.
I also once made a "sandwich" with some fried eggplant - horribly messy but sooo scrumptious! Only did them that one time and have never forgotten them.
I would love to find a way of liking them Dragn. Might sound odd, but what sort of eggplant would work for an "eggplant sandwich"? How thick would the slices be? How high the heat? How long the cook? And of course, what would be the filling? (Please say cheese!!) (Oh, and if so, what sort of cheese?)

I would love to find a way of liking them Dragn. Might sound odd, but what sort of eggplant would work for an "eggplant sandwich"? How thick would the slices be? How high the heat? How long the cook? And of course, what would be the filling? (Please say cheese!!)
Have you ever tried baba ganoush? I dislike eggplant in most forms. If it is chopped fine in moussaka, that's fine with me. It adds a little something and when there aren't an identifiable bits, I find it less offensive. But, baba ghanoush with it's garlic and tahini and lemon and no eggplant peel, is a wonderful dip.

Have you ever tried baba ganoush? I dislike eggplant in most forms. If it is chopped fine in moussaka, that's fine with me. It adds a little something and when there aren't an identifiable bits, I find it less offensive. But, baba ghanoush with it's garlic and tahini and lemon and no eggplant peel, is a wonderful dip.

Love it!!!!! :-p

I have heard of it Taxy! But because it contains eggplant, I have always avoided it. However, I will try it!

I will also try chopping up an eggplant for a Moussaka - is that with the skin included? I am willing to try it with little bits! LOL

Years ago I worked in a posh facility that had an elaborate employee cafeteria, managed by Marriott.

In the summer they offered a salad that consisted of rounds of room temperature fried eggplant shingled with sliced tomatoes and rounds of fresh mozzarella served with a fresh basil vinaigrette dressing.

It was a nice change from some of the heavier eggplant dishes but, for me, the breading was still the best part of the eggplant.

Found the recipe... last time I accessed it was more than 10 years ago. I have no idea when or even where I got it. It never crossed my mind I would be sharing or otherwise with it and so I'm so sorry that I can not even give credit where credit is due. To the originator of this recipe my apologies but please be happy that I love it and therefore forward for others to enjoy.
It is here - hope someone tries it and likes it as much as I did.

Eggplant sandwich

I have heard of it Taxy! But because it contains eggplant, I have always avoided it. However, I will try it!

I will also try chopping up an eggplant for a Moussaka - is that with the skin included? I am willing to try it with little bits! LOL
Cook the eggplant like I do, roast whole until just beginning to soften, then cool, slice, then fry, allow to cool, then peel off the skin. It usually comes right off.

If you roast, then fry, you won't need as much oil. Eggplant soaks up oil like you won't believe.

I make half for the 2 of us, though do make a whole recipe of the sauce since Craig likes his sauces. I only use half of it in the dish though. The rest is kept as a side for him. I also divide the half recipe into 2 foil baking pans and freeze half of it for later. It freezes quite well. I also make 3/4 of the bechemel just because I like that part of it.

I only use half of the cinnamon called for because I'm sensitive to cinnamon and it's really strong for me.

Found the recipe... last time I accessed it was more than 10 years ago. I have no idea when or even where I got it. It never crossed my mind I would be sharing or otherwise with it and so I'm so sorry that I can not even give credit where credit is due. To the originator of this recipe my apologies but please be happy that I love it and therefore forward for others to enjoy.
It is here - hope someone tries it and likes it as much as I did.

Eggplant sandwich
That looks so delicious! I must try. Thanks :)

Well this is quite refreshing to read! I was starting to think I was the only person in the world who didn't like eggplant! (Or Aubergine as we call it in the UK). I suspect my main issue is the skin. I find it revolting. The insides seem to turn to mush so I basically avoid them. (I never make Moussaka for this reason, despite all the other ingredients and the general concept being quite appealing.) I doubt the eggplants I am finding in my local shops are the best kind in any case. (No shortage by the way, and they even do "baby" ones, which I tried, and also found unpleasant.)
One of my Greek cookbooks includes a variation of moussaka that uses zucchini instead of eggplant.

IIRC, I cut the aubergine into ~1.5 cm thick, round slices. I brushed the two flat surfaces with a bit of oil and then fried them. Then, when they had cooled a bit, I chopped them up. I don't remember for sure, but I think I left the skin on.

For the baba ghanoush, I roast the whole eggplant in the oven after having poked holes all over the skin so it won't 'splode. It should collapse and might even have some very dark or burnt bits on the skin. Let it cool and then scoop out the very soft flesh. No skin in baba ghanoush. The recipes I have seen have you put it in a food processor, but I don't see the point, as long as your garlic is finely grated. Just stir in the tahini, garlic, lemon juice and any herbs or spices you want to add, like a bit of cumin. I have read you should drizzle it with some EVOO and that a shake or two of sumac is good. I have yet to try it with sumac.

@KatyCooks
Definitely try baba ganoush
Or
Roast (scar) eggplant. Leave to drain, remove inside meat.
Mix with garlic, olive oil, and basil.

It has a name, but I can't remember, so I'll just call if eggplant dip

Aubergine (sorry Eggplant) is horribly expensive! £1.40! Anyway, I have purchased it. It appears to be pretty soft. Is this good or bad?

Aubergine (sorry Eggplant) is horribly expensive! £1.40! Anyway, I have purchased it. It appears to be pretty soft. Is this good or bad?
I'm in midwest in the US, (WI), and ours are running $1.99/lb or $2.39/1.20lb each.
Soft is okay, where it springs back, mushy is not.

IIRC, I cut the aubergine into ~1.5 cm thick, round slices. I brushed the two flat surfaces with a bit of oil and then fried them. Then, when they had cooled a bit, I chopped them up. I don't remember for sure, but I think I left the skin on.

For the baba ghanoush, I roast the whole eggplant in the oven after having poked holes all over the skin so it won't 'splode. It should collapse and might even have some very dark or burnt bits on the skin. Let it cool and then scoop out the very soft flesh. No skin in baba ghanoush. The recipes I have seen have you put it in a food processor, but I don't see the point, as long as your garlic is finely grated. Just stir in the tahini, garlic, lemon juice and any herbs or spices you want to add, like a bit of cumin. I have read you should drizzle it with some EVOO and that a shake or two of sumac is good. I have yet to try it with sumac.
Ah well, I recently got some more sumac, so I may as well chuck some in! I think I prefer the idea of a dip with the Eggplant I just bought, than a traditional Moussaka. Don't want to ruin a whole dish! But if the dip is okay, it can be an introduction to a Moussaka with chopped up Eggplant.

Okay, here it is - actually on the kitchen scales. 0.96lb for £1.40 ($1.78)

Attachments

• Aubergine.jpg
    Aubergine.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 10
Back
Top Bottom