Ethics of Hunting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
As many have said, my ethics of hunting boils down to the use of the kill. If it's for consumption, then se la vi. If it is for the rack, hide, or whatever for show, then I have a problem with it. I recall growing up that a guy in church hunted as a primary source of food. Mom would raz him about shooting Bambi and all that, but when it came down to it, the purpose of the hunt (small or large game) was to feed his family.

Now of course, if your killing for protection from the animal, it's you or them. I'm all for it being them.

As for cows, chickens, etc. where there is no hunt, I'm still fine being the top of the food chain. What is the difference in human consuption of chicken, beef, or whatever and feeding a carnivourous pet? It's rather crude in analogy (sp?) but when it comes right down to it, the food chain has many links, and the higher up you are, the more options you have.

Plus, it's not like cows are going extint or anything. Hunting anything to extinction or dang near is flat out wrong.

along the lines of this subject, one of my favorite movies is "the freshman", with matthew broderick, and marlon brando.

just call me rudolpho laspari of palermo sicily.

buckytom said:
along the lines of this subject, one of my favorite movies is "the freshman", with matthew broderick, and marlon brando.
Bucky I had forgotten all about that movie until you just mentioned it. Man that was a great movie!!!

Had we lived in a perfect world, it would have been nice that we could happily co-exist altogether and no one had to kill any other creature for their survival, but unfortunately, it is a real world with its inperfections. No one could blame that lions and tigers have to nourish themselves to live, so for the people who need meat in their diets, I think it is acceptable, but as we are capable of doing so, when a living creature is to be sacrificed, it should be done in a humane way so the victim's suffering will be minimized.

It makes my blood boil to see people on horseback who will have their dogs chase down a poor fox, or go out to the arctic circle just to bludgeon baby seals for no obvious reason... (I always wish the curse of the Titanic will haunt them for those who do things like that...)

GB said:
Bucky I had forgotten all about that movie until you just mentioned it. Man that was a great movie!!![/quote]

only marlon brando could parody himself so well.

it is such a quirky little movie, but it still makes me laugh, every time i get to see it.

brando as carmine sabbatini: "uh, per favore, due espresso"

bruno kirby as victor ray: "i'll translate, he said 2 espressos"

Back
Top Bottom