For Best Fruit Flavors in desserts:

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
Eldest daughter and I wer conversing about food she was preapring.l One of the idtems was a Dutch Apple Pie. I let her know that I wished I was at her home to share it. I told her about something I had observed about apples,.. I enjoy hoeycrisp, and many other varieties, pik ladies being my favorite. I explained that though honeycrisp were vey sweet, the primary flavor was found in the peeling, and just under the skin. Once you to into the meat of the fruit, it became rather bland. You needed to eat the skin and outer flesh to get the full good flavor. Pink ladies, on the other hand, were flavored throughout the apple flesh, rather than just under the skin. But the skin still added complexity and added to the enjoyment of the apple.

Well, DD informed me that she had figured out the same thin. I let her know that the I had found the same characteristics in amour, and bosck paars. She then let me know that because of these fruit traits, she peeled her apples for her pie, then boiled the skins down in a little water to extract the flavor, and pectin. She then poirs the cooked skins and liquid inot a blender, and blends until silky smooth. She adds that to the sliced apples, and other ingredients in her pie. She stated that the pectin and finer from the cooked skins improved the final texture, and really enhanced the flavor of her apple pies.

Everything she said made sense, and so I will try her technique with the next apple pie I make, ore pear pie. I mean, increased nutritional value, better texture, better flavor, the added value of cinnamon, and nutmeg, It almost make apple pie sound like a health food:LOL:. Jut be sure to eat in moderate amounts, with a good homemade Chantilly cream *commonly referred to as whipped cream. But whipped cream is unsweetened. Chantilly cream is flavored with vanilla and powdered sugar. Stabilize the Chantilly cream with a little dissolved gelatin..

If you've never made one, pear pie, made the same way as apple pie, is a wonderful thing. Add small nits of caramel to your apple pie filling to add another great flavor to your apple pies. My favorite top crust is a lattice crust as it allows me to dot the pie between the lattice strips with pecan, or walnut chunks, or caramel bits.

Just tips from me to all of you.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom