Freezing zucchini for future use

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

larry_stewart

Master Chef
Didnt think I was going to have much of a zucchini year in the garden, but things are starting to kick in.

My wife makes a good zucchini bread, but does not want to make it in the near future.

My question is, could zucchini be grated and frozen or grated and blanched and frozen, or grated and squeeze out all the mosture and frozen...you get the idea, for later use?

If not, I have to come up with a way to use about 10 zucchinis in the next few days ( with at least 2 more on the way in the very near future).

Since it has a high water content, I would expect frozen zucchini to thaw into a soggy mess. Shredding and squeezing it will probably help but I have no experience with that.

I would try the shredding and squeezing - maybe try it today, and freeze it overnight, and see what it will thaw like. I do something similar with those bottle gourds, which might have even more water, though I'm not sure. I use the FP with a fine julienne disk, and squeeze it, and freeze it. It worked well in a zucchini bread - a little watery, but that's what it adds to the bread, and it's no different than using fresh. I also used it in flatbreads - something zucchini would probably work well in, too, since it's very similar. I also put it in many curries, dals, and other soup like dishes, and it just sort of disappears in them.

That's exactly what I have done - shred, salt lightly, leave to drain in a colander, rinse and squeeze dry. I freeze them in recipe-size portions in deli containers because they're reusable. I like to make veggie fritters with them. You can also make veggie fritters and freeze those.

The cellular structure of all summer squashes contains a fair amount of water. When frozen, those cell walls will fail. Just as blueberries turn mushy, so will zucchini. If you great the zucchini, then dehydrate, you can put it into vacuum bags and store on the shelf, or, blend it into powder to be added to batters later on. You can also make zucchini bead batter, and freeze that for later use. If push comes to shove, have a get together wit friends, Serve barbecued/grilled stuffed zucchini boats as part of the meal, or, start giving away to you neighbors.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

We downsized to one freezer for this next winter. Since zucchini is so much water, I end up thawing out twice what I need and draining off the water to get the same volume. Last year I start dehydrating zucchini in 1/3 inch slices, it dries pretty thin and can be broken up or not and kept in jars. I use a zucchini bread recipe where I soak 2 cups of dehydrated zucchini in 2 cups of water, add the rest of the ingredients and get a nice large loaf of zucchini bread. Or I could add the dried zucchini to soups or stews. It works better for me than using freezer space.

I believe frozen zucchini in the store has been flash frozen with nitrogen so it does not turn into goo like freezing in our kitchens.

I used to get a frozen breaded mushroom that I would bake off in the toaster oven for a snack. Tried making my own but that was a disaster. and have now just realized why. LOL should have known! Thanks Princess.

I used to get a frozen breaded mushroom that I would bake off in the toaster oven for a snack. Tried making my own but that was a disaster. and have now just realized why. LOL should have known! Thanks Princess.

My pleasure!

We downsized to one freezer for this next winter. Since zucchini is so much water, I end up thawing out twice what I need and draining off the water to get the same volume. Last year I start dehydrating zucchini in 1/3 inch slices, it dries pretty thin and can be broken up or not and kept in jars. I use a zucchini bread recipe where I soak 2 cups of dehydrated zucchini in 2 cups of water, add the rest of the ingredients and get a nice large loaf of zucchini bread. Or I could add the dried zucchini to soups or stews. It works better for me than using freezer space.
Do you have any tips or can you tell any gotchas about dehydrating zucchini and using the dehydrated zucchini? I have some zucchini that I am not likely to use before it goes off and no freezer space to speak of. I have a dehydrate function on my toaster oven and used that before.

The dehydrated zucchini takes a little while to rehydrate and I don't know how to speed up that time besides using hot water, or putting the zucchini in water, into the microwave.
In terms of dehydrating it, I used 130 deg F, until it was dry. It goes from a quart to a cup, tiny pieces when dry. If it is heated too hot it might brown a little, so keep the temperature at 125-130 deg F. Once dry, put in a jar. Let the jar sit, shaking it daily so that you can be sure after 5-7 days, it is still crisp throughout. If it gets soft and pliable, it's not dry enough, dry it more to crisp.

The dehydrated zucchini takes a little while to rehydrate and I don't know how to speed up that time besides using hot water, or putting the zucchini in water, into the microwave.
In terms of dehydrating it, I used 130 deg F, until it was dry. It goes from a quart to a cup, tiny pieces when dry. If it is heated too hot it might brown a little, so keep the temperature at 125-130 deg F. Once dry, put in a jar. Let the jar sit, shaking it daily so that you can be sure after 5-7 days, it is still crisp throughout. If it gets soft and pliable, it's not dry enough, dry it more to crisp.
Thank you.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom