General Cooking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

auntjojo27

Assistant Cook
When a dessert recipe calls for butter does that mean “salted” or can I substitute “unsalted” without negatively impacting the flavor? Brownies and cookies?

That’s a question that only you can answer.

Try them both and see which you and your family prefer.

Most recipes call for the addition of some salt.

Over the years I’ve used them both with good results but I prefer unsalted butter.

I pretty much ignore the 'unsalted butter' requirement.

It's kind of irrational to call for unsalted butter in a recipe then ask you to add salt as the next ingredient. Taste testing is a valid way to determine if salt levels are good for you.

Welcome to the forum!

Back when I "started" cooking, in the late 70s, baking recipes almost always called for unsalted butter (and almost always salt added!), mainly because back then, and before, the unsalted butter was usually better, because much the salted butter in stores was often older, and you could tell! And making a simple butter cookie you could really taste the difference. Even in the 80s, when I used to make huge numbers of cookies during the holidays, the salted butter was sometimes older, and I would always stock up on the unsalted, when they'd have their 99¢ sales. But the salted butter doesn't seem to be old any more, like it would be back then, so use what you want, but if a recipe calls for the butter, plus a quarter tsp of salt, you might want to omit that, if using salted butter. And if using unsalted, and the recipe has no salt added, you might want to add that small bit of salt, as it does help the flavor.

If you realize that many recipes originated in other countries it becomes easier to understand why.
In North America the common butter is salted... BUT it is not regulated by any control. Meaning the manufacturer adds as much salt as they deem correct. One butter can be much saltier than another!
Other countries normally have 'sweet' butter aka unsalted butter. These recipes actually then need salt added.
If the recipe specifies unsalted butter but you only have salted - then adjust or just delete the salt specified.
By the same token, if the recipe does not specify what kind of butter but also has more salt as an ingredient, then IMHO I would assume the butter used by the originator to be have been unsalted.
Many recipes today that call for unsalted butter actually say, 'if you have to use salted butter then do not add the salt'.
It all boils down to being your own judgement. Trial and error.

Actually, I have noticed. But only after I was told that it wasn't regulated.
Best test is on soft toast, white bread, store bought would be good for the test as it is usually much blander than homemade.
you only notice after a while, not right away, and even then after you suddenly use a different brand from normal. It seems it is also easier to tell if you are using a brand that is less salty and suddenly get a brand that is saltier.
but it's certainly not something I look for or even care about.

I pretty much ignore the 'unsalted butter' requirement.

It's kind of irrational to call for unsalted butter in a recipe then ask you to add salt as the next ingredient. Taste testing is a valid way to determine if salt levels are good for you.
Same here for the same reason.

You have reminded me of one of my peeves. Watching a cooking show and they say they use unsalted butter so they will have better control of the amount of salt in the recipe. Fine and logical. My peeve about that is for the ones who then aren't careful when they measure the salt or just eyeball the amount.

Last edited:
I live in Quebec and we usually get butter in a one pound block. If we want sticks, it's usually at least a dollar more for the same butter. I usually buy salted butter, because we use enough butter that we leave it out and salted butter stays fresh longer than unsalted butter, noticeably so at room temperature. I often have sticks of unsalted butter in the freezer. I find a use for unsalted butter so seldom that it's just more convenient to take a stick out of the freezer when I need it. I don't worry about an entire pound of butter going off.

I pretty much do the same as some others with my butter. I buy both. Because I'm pretty cheap in some things, I cut my unsalted 1 lb butter block into 4 sticks and freeze. A lot of recipes seem to call for 1/4 lb (or 1 stick) and it works for me.
I also like the sticks frozen when making pie crusts as I can grate the frozen stick and have my 'pea size' pieces of butter - so easy to then rub in with the flour.

ps, Recently saw butter here at $8.99 a pound! (IGA in St. Lazare, my old stomping grounds)

You have reminded me of one of my peeves. Watching a cooking show and they say they use unsalted butter so they will have better control of the amount of salt in the recipe.
Especially Ina Garten, who then proceeds to add enough salt to her latest recipe to give the entire population of East Hampton a heart attack.

I use plain old iodized salt in my kitchen and that tends to be saltier than the more exotic/expensive types of salt used by many television chefs.
1689533463809.jpeg

That's a great question. In dessert recipes, when it calls for butter, it usually refers to unsalted butter. Using unsalted butter allows you to control the amount of salt in your recipe, ensuring a balanced and consistent flavor.

I just use salted butter. It's not a big issue to salt to taste after adding butter. Not to mention, many recipes usually suggest you adjust the seasoning at the end so personal differences are accommodated then. We're talking about a teaspoon or so of salt in a pound of butter (this varies by brand).

You can certainly substitute unsalted butter for salted butter without negatively impacting the flavor, especially in brownies and cookies where the other ingredients contribute to the overall taste. Just be sure to adjust the salt level as needed in the recipe. Speaking of flavors, exploring different ingredients can be quite fun, just like experimenting with yum yum sauce ingredients to create a delightful dipping sauce.

An entire pound of salted butter contains 2/3 tsp of salt, which mean each stick contains 1/6 tsp. That is 1/48 tsp per Tbs. If you think that much salt is going to affect your recipe, then worry about whether to use salted or unsalted butter. I buy salted butter because the salt is there as a preseervative and I leave my butter out on the counter.

Last edited:
An entire pound of salted butter contains 2/3 tsp of salt, which mean each stick contains 1/6 tsp. That is 1/48 tsp per Tbs. If you think that much salt is going to affect your recipe, then worry about wheter to use salted or unsalted butter. .

THIS! The unsalted butter thing was blown way out of proportion by TV chefs. I think they looked at it as a sign of advanced cooking knowledge. Cooks who use a measuring spoon to add salt are few and far between. You taste, you add a little salt then you taste again . . .

Back
Top Bottom