Hard to Stretch the dough

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There have been a few times that my dough has ended up this way. Usually its when a child of mine lifts the towel while its rising(I let it rise in an oiled glass bowl on top of a warm stove covered with a warm moist tea towel). However, when that has happened I put the dough in a round pan and turn it into a deep dish b/c I obviously cant get the dough to stretch BUT I can get it to hold on the sides of the pan and it of course has a thick middle.
If nothing you can figure out made it this way, try again when the weather is different then it was today for you.

I just made another batch..it`s sitting in the only unairconditioned room in the house,which is warm. So we shall see if it rises this time..I let the mixer run for 10 mins,which gave me a smoother dough.

There's only one rise for pizza usually. If you do want a second rise (not because you "have to", but when you see the bubbles from the first rise has become crazy and uneven. Then you punch out the bubbles, fold it a couple of times, shape back into a ball and do a second rise), you can do both in the fridge. My cold rising time is at least 24 hours. Max is 48 hours.

after your final rise (first or second), you divide the dough while it's still cold. Now it'll need to get back to room temperature in order to be elastic. To do that, you let the divided dough rise again in a warm place. then you can shape the pizza.

you really should watch that episode. It might not be the kind you are expecting, but definitely worth trying out his recipe (remember to cut the salt by half, he tends to use too much salt very often)

I am sure I`ve seen the episode,I watched his show alot,,but I will check Youtube for it and review.

I am sure I`ve seen the episode,I watched his show alot,,but I will check Youtube for it and review.
the first time I followed his pizza recipe, I did it exactly and it turned out really terrible. since then I have been tweaking the recipe pie after pie.

Also his tomato sauce, if you follow exactly you'll get a super sour sauce that you will frown with every bite.

I followed his biscuit recipe several times and his 400 degree bake (he didn't even say how long in the show) doesn't brown the biscuit at all. so I turned to his grandma's 475 degree and that worked well.

So I pretty much just stop following his recipes but just use his show to learn the theory behind things.

You can get unglazed stone at a builder'supply store like Home Depot. Actually I think I got mine at Lowe's but I don't remember for sure. They are just floor tiles. But you have to be sure that they are unglazed. I bought a package of them and I think I paid about 15.00 for them some time ago. There were enough in the package to completely line the bottom of my oven and I have enough left to do it again some day if the need arises. I got the 6 inch tiles but you can also get 12 inch tiles though they are harder to fit to the oven. Or you can just use one tile if you don't want to line the whole oven. These will cause the oven to take longer to heat up because they absorb heat like a regular pizza stone, but your oven will stay hot longer. I love the tiles for baking bread of all kinds. (I leave them in the oven at all times.) One other plus is that when I bake a pie I start it flat on the tiles and then after a while I move it to a middle shelf. Now I never worry that I will have a half done soggy bottom crust. You don't wash these with soap. Just scrape any oven spills off and clean with water when needed. The tiles will get stained and look nasty but that is the nature of the beast. These days if I am cooking anything that might spill over I put a tray under it and save myself that grief. (Why didn't I figure that out years ago?) Also you do not need to place the pizza right on the tiles. A pizza pan placed on the tiles works very well too.

Back
Top Bottom