Heat resistant brush suggestion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

travelfar

Assistant Cook
I am looking for a good basting/pastry brush. I would appreciate any suggestions but particularly for a particular brush.

I would like a brush that is

- heat resistant for applying butter to a hot crepe pan.
- good at holding sauces well for basting BBQ :pig:
- good for applying washes to baked goods.

The main choices would be either natural boar bristle or silicone. As I understand it, natural bristle brushes may loose their bristles in the food while silicone brushes are not good at holding a large volume of liquid. Are there any exceptions to these rules?

How do both brush types hold up against heat. I would hate to have burnt hair or melted silicone. :furious:

If you like a particular brand or model, please let me know.

Thank you

Years ago, we used synthetic paint brushes. No mas. I would recommend a silicone brush, one with tiny holes in the bristles. They hold your sauces, and are impervious to average high heat. Silicone won't likely melt in normal conditions.

We bought a Zyliss brand silicone brush at the grocery store a while back. It works pretty well. It has a silicone "grid" in the middle between the bristles that hold the liquid.

I prefer a good quality 2" natural bristle paint brush. It's less expensive, holds more sauce, etc., doesn't melt and has a high temperature resistance (although I can't imagine why anyone would need a brush that requires high temperature resistance since things such as basting is done at a relatively low temperature, and use as a pastry brush is done at room temperature. They also do a far better job at spreading butter, sauce, etc. than silicone!

I use two brushes: one for sauces and one strictly for pastry. I also rinse them under warm soapy water as soon as I'm through with them. They've lasted me about 28 years. Not bad for about a $2.50 investment.

...heat resistant for applying butter to a hot crepe pan.

In order to save yourself from washing a brush... any brush, warm your crepe pan (don't crank the heat up to high!), apply your butter, then use a quarter of a paper towel sheet wadded into an applicator to spread the butter, and then turn up the heat. Toss the paper applicator into the trash. No muss, no fuss!

We bought a Zyliss brand silicone brush at the grocery store a while back. It works pretty well. It has a silicone "grid" in the middle between the bristles that hold the liquid.

I saw this brush recommended on TV just the other day for its combination of ability to hold lots of liquid and heat resistance.

I have a Kitchenaid brand silcone brush I bought at Home Goods.I love it.I was tired of going through bristle brushes when they went stale.

The only bristles I've had go bad are kitchen basting brushes. Every single one I've seen (friends and family BBQs) are cheap cr*p purchased in the housewares dept. A good quality paint brush won't shed.

Thank you for your suggestions. I am leaning towards the Zyliss silicone brush. Thanks for the link. I may also go the paper towel route for the crepes - perhaps just hold the towel with tongs as an applicator.

Cheers

We have a couple of silicone brushes, i don't know the brand name, and they work and wash just great. I think i even got one in a dollar store.

test kitchen tested brushes and oxo won - I bought two different sizes and they do work really well. Gage

I have a variety (1", 2", and 3"of Ateco brand brushes. Just used the 3" to baste my ribs with a honey vinegar mix. I use them regularly for washing my bread doughs. They're great and carry more coating material to where you want it than any silicon brush I've used.

Le Creuset Silicone Brushes

variety+of+brushs.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom