HELP! Something's Happening

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
HELP! Something's Happening Update

I got a reply from our county's AG extension and they confirmed
Flea Beetles!
It seems to be in the early stages, so I am advised to apply
Carbaryl Dust aka Sevin brand Garden Dust and mulch the pots.
I found the Sevin, but not the mulch yet... I'll go back out
tomorrow and look for some.
We have an Excessive Heat Warning in affect until Thursday
Evening, so I moved everybody over to the East side of the house
to take cover for now.
I mean what with our Landscaping project under way, I need to
protect my investment.

IMG_3373 (1).jpg

IMG_3374.jpg

Glad to hear that! Does anyone near you have any pine trees? Pine needles or chopped for mulch would help.

I would also suggest transplanting your vegetables into larger pots. The roots will need more space to grow in order to provide nutrients to the leaves and fruits.

I swear by Pyola (a mix of pyrithrins and canola oil, made into a spray). It works for almost any bug, including mealies, aphids, mites, rose slugs, sawflies, and Japanese beetles. I get it from Gardens Alive. For years they sent me a catalog with a $25 coupon no purchase necessary, and for years I got free Pyola! Always felt kind of bad, but now I have a nice stockpile of Pyola concentrate. They've since quit the no purchase clause, but their catalog does give a $25 coupon to be used with a purchase.

I have heard this time and time again, that canola oil is a good insecticide. It makes me wonder how good it can be for eating. When I worked at a food processing plant, one of the engineers told me, he wouldn't ingest canola oil ever EVER as he had studied it. We put canola oil in containers and it is sold to the grocery stores.

Canola is the "carrier" for the pyrithrin, it makes it stick. You could probably make your own with whatever oil you want. I've found it to be effective with flea and bean beetles as well.

Please be careful with the Sevin! A friend with an orchid greenhouse had to go to the emergency ward after using it. He didn't use it after that.

Canola is the "carrier" for the pyrithrin, it makes it stick. You could probably make your own with whatever oil you want. I've found it to be effective with flea and bean beetles as well.

Please be careful with the Sevin! A friend with an orchid greenhouse had to go to the emergency ward after using it. He didn't use it after that.

While any oil and canola oil can make things stick to plants, I agree, Canola oil is an effective insecticide on it's own. That's why I mentioned it.
https://www3.epa.gov/pesticides/chem_search/reg.../fs_PC-011332_25-Nov-09.pdf

I have heard this time and time again, that canola oil is a good insecticide. It makes me wonder how good it can be for eating. When I worked at a food processing plant, one of the engineers told me, he wouldn't ingest canola oil ever EVER as he had studied it. We put canola oil in containers and it is sold to the grocery stores.
Canola is not an insecticide. As Dawg said, it's a carrier. So it helps the actual insecticide cling to the plants so it can do its work.

As long as people use garden products according to the label directions, they will be fine. No one drinks a glass of hot sauce or vinegar, right? The dose makes the poison - and the extreme irritant.

Last edited:
Canola oil is an insect repellent, not an insecticide. You get the benefit of less insects without killing them.

Canola Oil = CAN O LA
Canada Oil Low Acid

It is made from Grapwseed, Mustard seed or any other available seed that is plentiful and available at time of production.

I NEVER purchase canola oil for any edible purpose.

Why not? I use it all the time.

The main reason is that I really make a concerted effort to buy American. If there is no American product available, I will consider looking at other products. There are many other product though of cooking oil on the shelf that are made in America, so that is the route I choose to take.

The main reason is that I really make a concerted effort to buy American. If there is no American product available, I will consider looking at other products. There are many other product though of cooking oil on the shelf that are made in America, so that is the route I choose to take.
So why did you say you don't buy it for any edible purpose? That implies you don't think it's edible.

Humanicide? Isn't that quite a jump in logic, that if it is used an an insecticide it therefore is a humanicide? You can eat onions until the cows come home but it will be detrimental to your dog or cat. Whether to use canola oil or to not use it, really is a personal preference.

Addie, you can buy American made canola oil. https://www.amazon.com/Solio-Family...?ie=UTF8&qid=1497969282&sr=8-8&keywords=solio
If you really want to.

Humanicide? Isn't that quite a jump in logic, that if it is used an an insecticide it therefore is a humanicide? You can eat onions until the cows come home but it will be detrimental to your dog or cat. Whether to use canola oil or to not use it, really is a personal preference.

Bliss, it was you who said this:

It's rapeseed oil. The rape plant is a member of the mustard family. The oil has been used in Europe, India and China for centuries. No big deal.

View attachment 27065

As some may know, I started a small Patio Pot Garden this year.
This is the first time that I've attempted to grow vegetables
in a long time.

View attachment 27066
View attachment 27067

A few weeks ago, something started to attack my Cucumber plant

View attachment 27068

As well as my Bell Pepper plant.
My Mother suggested spraying them with a solution of water and mild dish soap.

As you can see, it's not helping.
I down't want to use any chemicals on them,
what can I do?
HELP!!
To get back to the topic, K'girl, your plants are becoming desiccated from the hot, dry desert winds. That will cause the edges of the leaves to dry out quickly and curl up. It's suggested that you get a moisture meter and water as needed. If they're exposed to wind, put in a wind break. Another problem is that the high heat causes the pots and soil to heat up - soil under the ground is cooler - which also stresses the plants. Try not to expose the pots to full sun; maybe try giving them afternoon shade. And there are probably also flea beetles.

Also, the pots are too small. These plants are heavy feeders with a large root system. They need to be in at least 3-gallon pots: 5 would be better. And mulch them to help them retain moisture.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
So why did you say you don't buy it for any edible purpose? That implies you don't think it's edible.

I don't. I would rather have a simple plain vegetable oil to cook with that is made in America. And when I buy olive oil, I purchase California olive oil. It is rather pricey, but I use it sparingly and it lasts quite a long time. I find it has a better taste than the imported. I am a very strong believer in "Buy America First." I just don't go around spouting my preferences in that department. Not unless someone asks me. No lectures. Just a private matter for me.

I am of Native American descent. It is part of my nature to think along those lines.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom