Hot Chocolate, a Different Take

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CraigC

Master Chef
Back when we used to watch Paula, she had a chocolatier as a guest. This is his recipe. You will need a spoon!:yum:

Work-a-holic's Hot Chocolate
Prep Time: 8 min Inactive Prep Time: hr min Cook Time: 8 min
Level:
Easy
Serves: 2 to 3 servings

Vanilla Custard:
2 tablespoons cornstarch
2 1/2 cups milk, divided
1/2 cup sugar
2 large egg yolks
1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise, or 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Hot chocolate:
7 ounces (2 chocolate bars) semisweet chocolate, chopped
1 cup milk, boiled

Sprinkle the cornstarch over 1/2 cup of the milk in a small bowl and whisk to dissolve. Add the sugar and egg yolks and whisk well.
In a heavy-bottomed medium saucepan over low heat, bring the remaining 2 cups of the milk and the vanilla bean just to a simmer. Remove the bean, scrape the vanilla seeds into the milk, and discard the bean. Gradually whisk the egg yolk mixture into the milk.

Cook, whisking often, until the sauce comes to a full boil, about 3 minutes. If using vanilla extract, stir it in now. Strain through a wire sieve into a bowl. Add the chopped chocolate chunks and a boiled cup of milk. Mix until smooth. Serve warm.

Any flavor can be added- raspberry, cinnamon, holiday ginger spice, marshmallows. The semi-sweet chocolate can be substituted with milk or white chocolate.

That's possibly more deadly than the recipe that I used, though mine is thick, and wickedly rich. The cup of hot cocoa that I made for my wife would probably send us diabetics into the hospital. The only way I could have made it better, would be to have added a tspl or so of salted butter, so the salt would mellow out some of the inherent sweetness or the drink.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

It flows like lava.:)

I bet you could chill it, then pipe it into profiteroles, or eclairs, or even long-johns. You could use it to make a reverse-Boston Cream Pie, with yellow, or white cake, and the chocolate recipe used to fill between the layers as you would use pastry cream for the original. Cover all with a ganache.

I think you have a recipe that could be used for many good things.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom