Hot Pot and/or Rice Cooker

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Japanese brands make the best rice cookers. The most famous are Tiger and Zojirushi.
I had a zojirushi back when I lived in Tokyo that worked really well. But most commercial models you'll be able to find are just as good, by the way I found this useful article while searching the internet https://houseandbeyond.org/best-rice-cooker/ hope it will help.

P.S. Try the recipe below. It is my own, so I can post without issues...

RICE COOKER INDIAN SPICED RICE

¼ cup sliced green onion
2 Tablespoons butter or margarine
1-1/3 cups Basmati rice
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon Garam Masala*
1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
1 small clove garlic, minced
2-2/3 cups water

Place rice in the rice cooker. Melt the butter. Add the melted butter to the rice & stir. Stir in the green onion, salt, garam masala, ground red pepper and garlic. Add water & stir. Close rice cooker, cook on white rice setting (un-rinsed setting, if you have it).

Makes 8 servings. Yummy with curry! Hope you enjoy.

*If you don’t have Garam Masala, mix 1 Tablespoon ground cumin, 1 Tablespoon ground coriander, 2 teaspoons black pepper, 2 teaspoons ground cardamom, 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon and 1 teaspoon ground cloves. Makes ¼ cup.

I bought a simple rice steamer years ago when we made plain white rice regularly but lived in an old place and couldn't microwave it for 20 minutes AND run the air condition. I hated instant rice which I grew up on and could not make rice on the stove to save my life! At some point I upgraded to one with fuzzy logic that made brown rice and loved it! Bought it on ebay and still use it!

We have since moved to a modern apt with a nice stove and power burner and central air. We can make brown rice on the stove if we want to - or microwave - but often turn to the steamer since it's so easy to use.

So I've read all the instructions and they seem pretty clear AND precise.

.... except they don't tell you whether to add the rice to the cooking bowl and then fill with water up to the line you need.

OR ... fill with water first up to the line you need and THEN add your clean rice,.

My concern is that the level of water will be different depending on which way you do it. Once you rinse/wash your rice, even drained there is water on it - and Once in the bowl there will be less water if you fill it then.

and they talk about how important it is to have the correct amounts!

Oh bother.... just found it in Step 2 ...

Oh Eeyore - you're such an Ass -- why thank you Winnie, you're a true Pooh.

Guess I should have elaborated but Eeyore was hanging her head in shame.
It says:
Step 2 - 2nd instruction -
On a flat surface, pour water OVER the rice in the INNER COOKING POT, filling to the WATER MEASURE LINE .... blah blah blah

Guess I should have elaborated but Eeyore was hanging her head in shame.
It says:
Step 2 - 2nd instruction -
On a flat surface, pour water OVER the rice in the INNER COOKING POT, filling to the WATER MEASURE LINE .... blah blah blah
I get it...I was referring to being overly exact. I often make 1.5 cups of rice...and I just take a guess at where the water should be. It has never failed me, it always comes out just the way it should be and the house always smells divine too...that's my favorite part!

Well, my 2nd rice was a bit mushy. Thought I had grabbed some different rice but no, it was Jasmine, same as the first try. Pretty sure I didn't do anything different.

Also wanted to say I cooked Oatmeal in it the other day. Lovely! no watching the pot boil over with sticky oatmeal. I do large batch and have enough for 2 more breakfasts.
I'm glad for this as it was one reason I rarely, as much as I love, made oatmeal for breakfast. I would promise myself to be more consistent with the oatmeal - and of course, never was. This is so much easier, ergo leading to healthier!

Well, my 2nd rice was a bit mushy. Thought I had grabbed some different rice but no, it was Jasmine, same as the first try. Pretty sure I didn't do anything different.

Also wanted to say I cooked Oatmeal in it the other day. Lovely! no watching the pot boil over with sticky oatmeal. I do large batch and have enough for 2 more breakfasts.
I'm glad for this as it was one reason I rarely, as much as I love, made oatmeal for breakfast. I would promise myself to be more consistent with the oatmeal - and of course, never was. This is so much easier, ergo leading to healthier!
Hmmm...I wonder what it was. I've never had an issue...but I don't have your exact same model. As previously mentioned, I don't get too fussy with it. When a recipe calls for chicken broth, I'll use canned (I know, lazy, sorry!), it says 1.5 cups and I'll use the whole 14.5 ounces sometimes, others, I'll save back a bit in the bottom of the can and use one the puppies dinner. It always comes out perfect. :unsure:

Oh I'm not worried. It was still good. I'm sure I'll figure it out with time.
Yeah, this is the cheapest model that would do what I needed.
White rice,
Sticky rice, something called GABA rice, which is with a brown rice, willing to try that even though brown rice is not my favourite.
Porridge.... funny, I nearly flipped. Looking at the instructions for porridge - they were talking about RICE! I'm guessing it is what I understand congee is? Anyhow, just went ahead and made my oatmeal at that setting and it was perfect.
I'm still a happy camper. :punk:

I avoid Brown Rice...too much fat in it. At least that's my excuse! If it isn't good for my dogs, why would I eat it? LOL. Yes, I think you are correct on the porridge...but you can use the machine for lots of things, as you are learning. Do a Duck, Duck, Go search on the www.

LOL - Brown Rice and Whole Wheat - just not on my favourites list!
Ok in very very small doses. I know it's "supposed" to be healthy for you but you also have to be able to eat it.

I am old enough to remember when Made in Japan had the same reaction as Made in China does now. Now Chinese products are vastly improving, just like the Japanese products did because they were/are both stealing our patented technology.

I never, ever buy anything Japanese. For appliances and electronics I prefer European made. You will never find anything Japanese in may apartment except maybe for a lady every now and again, as long as she's not electronic!

Back
Top Bottom