How do I make lemon/lime twists?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crankin

Senior Cook
I am wondering how bartenders make those really good looking lemon/lime twists that go on drinks (see image below)? I have a citrus zesting tool but I don't understand how they get it to be so tight and springy. Does anyone know the answer?

50cosmo.jpg

Thanks

Does your tool look like this?

Start the curl where the stem was and use the tool to go around the lime in a tight spiral.

Actually, you can do it anywhere on the lime if you carve out the peel in a tight spiral.

Attachments

• 099873-P-G.jpg
    099873-P-G.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 8,172
Last edited:
What you want is a channel knife. The above knife is a zester AND a channel knife. The "channel" is the place in the middle of the above knife. Make a cut using that part long enough to tie or long enough to twist and curl.

Yes I do have a tool like that. I am able to cut a strip of the lime/lemon but I'm not sure how to get it to be so tightly wound together. Is it a matter of how you cut the strip off or do you do something to it once it's cut?

...Is it a matter of how you cut the strip off or do you do something to it once it's cut?

It's how you cut it. Cut in a spiral, not a straight line. A tight spiral will give you a tight curl. A wide spiral will give you a bigger looser curl.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom