How is everyone cooking in this heat?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That iron reminded me of ironing grill cheese sandwiches. I haven't but it surely would work.

Hot days have advantages:
Use a solar oven for baking or cooking a stew. Use a large roaster insulated to hold in the heat with glass or plexiglass on the top facing the sun. (we used our electric roaster w/o electric with glass over top to melt wax recently)
Make yogurt, milk (dairy or other) with yogurt culture, on the counter when it is 90 to 100 deg F will culture it.
A fermented vegetable, fermented pickles, or starting vinegar to ferment will get done twice as fast in hotter weather.
Dehydrate herbs and leaves for teas in the sun for the day. (or put them in your car in the sun for the day)
Take a thick tomato sauce and spread it thin onto silicone sheets or parchment, lay it in the sun to concentrate into paste like they do in italy.

Though I haven't had to do this lately, when I have to have some bread, when it's too hot to turn on ovens, I bake it outside, in the gas grill - turn on one side, and heat it up to 350° , or maybe use the old pizza stone I keep out there, for that, and bake the bread there, usually while working in the garden. Inside, I use that Instant Pot for a lot of things, as it is sort of insulated, and puts out a lot less heat (plus the pressure cooking is much faster), even than the induction burner, which I use once I start running my AC. As much as I like my gas stove, it puts out a lot of heat!

yes, think Christopher Robin in his little Wellingtons stomping in the rain.

I think they were red but could be mistaken- at any rate, my husband's family always called rainboots Wellingtons - maybe it's because they're from England?

Edit:
aka Wellies

yes, think Christopher Robin in his little Wellingtons stomping in the rain.

I think they were red but could be mistaken- at any rate, my husband's family always called rainboots Wellingtons - maybe it's because they're from England?

Edit:
aka Wellies

Gumboots down here.

Russ

Great question. Most have my answers in that I will do most of my cooking earlier in the day now that I am home more. I am apt to do sandwiches, cool salads and such. Small appliances are helpful. I avoid cooking outside if it is terribly hot. The hood vent helps as it does vent outside and the AC can be turned up if I really feel warm. I have a small rotary fan that I sometimes use in the kitchen as well.

Now....while working, I did not have the flexibility of time that I now have. So...the deli and salad bars at the grocery were often my go-to.

OMG - I completely forgot! yes, we call them that too. Rainboots, Gumboots, Wellies take your pick!

seems to me Puddle Jumpers are in there somewhere...
I raised horses. We called them muck boots because we cleaned out horse stalls in them. But I remember them being referred to as Wellingtons.

I'd rather a nice beef Wellington!

My chronic illness doesn't go that well with the heat so I try to stay out of the kitchen as much as I can. I cook things in big batches by roasting them in the oven (and staying out of the kitchen while it's on). And I make salads, soups, and everything that takes a relatively short preparation time.

I raised horses. We called them muck boots because we cleaned out horse stalls in them. But I remember them being referred to as Wellingtons.

I'd rather a nice beef Wellington!

My sons fave dish. Luckily he hasn't requested it for a while.

Russ

I wish I lived in NZ so you could show me how to make it!
Beef Wellington isn't complicated. It's basically a filet mignon (or beef tenderloin) with duxelles (wild mushrooms) and pate wrapped in puff pastry. It's really, really difficult to pull off just right, however.

So: uncomplicated but not simple. I've been cooking over 50 years but I would leave Beef Wellington to a professional. I tried, once: it was disastrous.

Also, keep an eye on the weather forecast and plan ahead.
Freeze portions of a nice tomato/ground beef dish with hardly any spices.
Defrost, cook, add spices according to what you feel like.
Basil or oregano for pasta
Some chili's and fish sauce for an SE Asian slant
Basil or so again, on a slice of bread or pita, topped with cheese for a pan-pizza
Egg & stock for tomato egg drop soup
Etc

Beef Wellington isn't complicated. It's basically a filet mignon (or beef tenderloin) with duxelles (wild mushrooms) and pate wrapped in puff pastry. It's really, really difficult to pull off just right, however.

So: uncomplicated but not simple. I've been cooking over 50 years but I would leave Beef Wellington to a professional. I tried, once: it was disastrous.
I know what it is, thank you. I've made it before but it's been about 15 years, but everyone has their own take on it. I just wanted @Rascal to make it for me, lol. Why do I always have to do all the cooking? Besides, that's not the only reason I want to go to NZ. It's absolutely breathtakingly beautiful from what I've seen in photos and films. And the lamb are the best in the world I hear.

I'm 61 btw and I've been cooking since i was a teen...you've got me beat by just a few years.

Last edited:
I know what it is, thank you. I've made it before but it's been about 15 years, but everyone has their own take on it. I just wanted @Rascal to make it for me, lol. Why do I always have to do all the cooking? Besides, that's not the only reason I want to go to NZ. It's absolutely breathtakingly beautiful from what I've seen in photos and films. And the lamb are the best in the world I hear.

I'm 61 btw and I've been cooking since i was a teen...you've got me beat by just a few years.
Our lamb is pretty good but I need to taste lamb reared on the salt marshes of Wales . I believe it may be better??

Russ

Our lamb is pretty good but I need to taste lamb reared on the salt marshes of Wales . I believe it may be better??

Russ
For some reason, NZ lamb and UK lamb never make it to our grocery stores. Best we can do is Aussie lamb. It's quite good, though.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom