How is everyone cooking in this heat?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ozzy lamb is mostly grain fed, ours is grass fed.

Russ
Everything I've read says Australian lamb is also grass fed.

American lamb, to my taste, is not as flavorful as Australian lamb. That may be because American lamb is finished with grain. Also American lamb is a bigger animal than other country's. If you compare the sizes of the different racks of lamb, you can see the size difference.

Everything I've read says Australian lamb is also grass fed.

American lamb, to my taste, is not as flavorful as Australian lamb. That may be because American lamb is finished with grain. Also American lamb is a bigger animal than other country's. If you compare the sizes of the different racks of lamb, you can see the size difference.
I've never had American lamb but I trust you on this. In the grocery store here it is Aussie. There is a farm not far from us I wanted to look into, I'll get back on this if I visit.

I know what it is, thank you. I've made it before but it's been about 15 years, but everyone has their own take on it. I just wanted @Rascal to make it for me, lol. Why do I always have to do all the cooking? Besides, that's not the only reason I want to go to NZ. It's absolutely breathtakingly beautiful from what I've seen in photos and films. And the lamb are the best in the world I hear.

I'm 61 btw and I've been cooking since i was a teen...you've got me beat by just a few years.
I'm 61 also. I started when I was nine. I remember my mother telling me she started when she was nine; in retrospect I think she was looking for sympathy. At any rate, on my ninth birthday I demanded she start teaching me how to cook.

I've been learning ever since. I think the reason I've gotten to be any good is that I'm still learning.

And yeah, if someone else is gonna do the work, sign me up for some Beef Wellington. Way back a long, long time ago, I worked as a busboy in a restaurant where my sister was the cook. She made me hamburger wellington! This was well over 40 years ago but I still remember it!

I'm 61 also. I started when I was nine. I remember my mother telling me she started when she was nine; in retrospect I think she was looking for sympathy. At any rate, on my ninth birthday I demanded she start teaching me how to cook.

I've been learning ever since. I think the reason I've gotten to be any good is that I'm still learning.

And yeah, if someone else is gonna do the work, sign me up for some Beef Wellington. Way back a long, long time ago, I worked as a busboy in a restaurant where my sister was the cook. She made me hamburger wellington! This was well over 40 years ago but I still remember it!
That's fabulous! I am still learning, too. And I love adore it when people cook for me!

I unfortunately had a mother who got divorced when I was 8 and had to take on 2 jobs, so yeah, I started to cook a bit by the time I was 12 because it was just me and 1 brother at home by then and all of the others had flown the coop--there were 6 kids. Frozen pizzas, hamburger helper, and boxed mac and cheese got old quickly. But I really don't count any of that as cooking. You were lucky your mom was around to teach you.

Hamburger Wellington sounds pretty darned good!

Chicago today had a heat index of about 100 degrees F, and we will have the same over the next few days. We've had it easy, though; many parts of the country have seen temperatures over 110 for weeks at a time. Hot or not, though, ya gotta eat and that means ya gotta cook! For Sunday, we had Italian beef from the deli; simmer it in broth for a minute and you're done. Monday we'll get fried chicken from the deli at Jewel, a different grocery store. They fry it in a pressure cooker, and on "cheep Chicken Mondays" it's only $5.99 for 8 pieces (best chicken in town!). Tuesday I'm planning a pasta salad (which I'll make overnight when it's cooler). Wednesday it's hot dogs. Thursday... well, I don't yet know.

I can't imagine dealing with such heat for such a long time. Cold foods, foods that cook quickly... one soon gets bored with the limited options. How do you deal with it?
We've had two very hot summers with many days over 100° and my kitchen does not have anything except in direct air conditioning from another room. And I can't take the heat at all because I'm old. So I don't do the same type cooking in the summer and I'm not feeding a family so it's just me.

I try to avoid using the oven. I avoid any long recipes and just keep it simple with few ingredients. I basically slow cook in my roaster by putting the ingredients into a dutch oven and then foil and lid over the top so it's real tight like a slow cooker instead of making anything in the oven except maybe a quick frozen pizza.

I will make more cold food such as my favorite being homemade pimento cheese for sandwiches. I also will make either chicken salad or just plain chicken on toast with mayonnaise for a sandwich. It's funny because I used to always make chicken grape salad which I love but in the summer I just want to keep it simple and I found that I enjoy a simple plain old chicken sandwich just as much almost.

I made Lipton barbecue beef sandwiches in the slow cooker and they are really good. Didn't heat up the kitchen. Not many ingredients so not in the kitchen long.

I will make a macaroni salad. And I will use Frozen mixed steamable vegetables.

One thing I did cook that doesn't take much time at all is medium sliced boneless pork loin chops just seasoned with flour and Lawry's, pepper. And then just sauteed real quick because it only takes a very short time to just golden brown them.

I was glad to see the cooler weather and get back to more normal cooking but I've learned to like my summer fare as well.

I've learned to like my summer fare, too,, with all those things I get from my garden! And don't forget - hot peppers actually cool your body off, not heat it up, like it seems like! :LOL: However, I still eat some in the cold weather, too. ;)

LOL pepper, they make you sweat! when the air passes over your body it makes you think you feel cooler.
They always told me that about tea in the summer too. I ain't heating up my body just so as the air then feels cooler!
I now just take a bottle of water with a spritzer and use that!
That's is just MHO! :LOL:

I have been striving for less food waste and more seasonal cooking. I struggled for a while with summer cooking when I was working. Now that I've retired, I find time to enjoy making items that are in season and require some planning.

BTW, pimento cheese spread is a thing of beauty. Especially with a thick slice of tomato!

I have been striving for less food waste and more seasonal cooking. I struggled for a while with summer cooking when I was working. Now that I've retired, I find time to enjoy making items that are in season and require some planning.

BTW, pimento cheese spread is a thing of beauty. Especially with a thick slice of tomato!
and a burger! 😉🤭🐷

I make pimento cheese without cream cheese, so it's a much looser mixture and you really taste the cheese and the pimentos and the vinegar. I've really gotten to where I'm addicted to it. I just use it on sandwiches because without the cream cheese it's not really something fit for a cracker. In fact I just ordered what I need to make it again. I thought I would be over it since summer is over but all day I've been thinking I wish I had a pimiento cheese sandwich.

I make pimento cheese without cream cheese, so it's a much looser mixture and you really taste the cheese and the pimentos and the vinegar. I've really gotten to where I'm addicted to it. I just use it on sandwiches because without the cream cheese it's not really something fit for a cracker. In fact I just ordered what I need to make it again. I thought I would be over it since summer is over but all day I've been thinking I wish I had a pimiento cheese sandwich.
Please don't make us wait to hear your recipe!

I may have already put it up. But it's simple.

16 oz Kraft Deli Deluxe American cheese (use whatever but this is easier to cut up and I think it tastes the best and I've tried different cheeses)
1/3 c pimento drained
1 1/2 T. Sugar
1 1/2 T. Red wine or apple cider vinegar
1 t. Salt.
1/2 Cup Miracle Whip salad dressing

You need one of those wire cheese slicers on a board. Since the American cheese is already sliced it's not as hard. You basically want it cut no wider than 1/4 in by maybe a half or 3/4 of an inch long.

And that's it. I like it right as soon as I mix them together the very best while they're at room temperature but it's also very good chilled.

I like mayonnaise better on everything except this. I like this because it is vinegary and tangy but also sweet.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom