I learned my lesson

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm in the minority, I know, but I have never put a sauce on my meatloaf.
Same here. OTOH, I make a Danish pork meatloaf that is baked free form, but wrapped in bacon. The potato wedges that are baked in the same pan, around the meatloaf are really tasty.

And as Andy states in a post that showed up while I was typing, no gravy for my meatloaf.

There are times when a ladle of onion or mushroom crater gravy seems like the right way to go. 🐷🐷🐷
1690146652508.jpeg

Aunt Bea, you just reminded me. I have always thought that gravy belonged on the potatoes more than on the meat. I have often found gravy masking the flavour of the meat more than enhancing it, even when it was a tasty gravy.

My late brother didn't care for gravy on anything. Me, I like gravy but don't often make it. I don't find it masks anything, I think it enhances.
Mind you, on the other hand - there can be horrid gravies on even more horrid foods, vegies or meat.... horrid is horrid .
I would be a bit suspicious if everything is drowned in gravy, hmm?

Aunt Bea, you just reminded me. I have always thought that gravy belonged on the potatoes more than on the meat. I have often found gravy masking the flavour of the meat more than enhancing it, even when it was a tasty gravy.
The gravy *does* belong on the potatoes! That's why you need to save the fat - to make the gravy with! 😁

I do a free form meatloaf as well, but I put it on the broiler pan after lining the bottom and the top, cutting slits in the foil to correspond with the slits in the top broiler pan, so the grease drains away and clean up is easy. If Craig wants gravy, he makes it with drippings in bottom broiler pan. I know all that foil is kind of wasteful, but I'd be using paper towels to soak up the excess grease and then extra soap and water to get rid of the grease, so I'd rather use the foil and make clean up simple.
I make meatloaf in my loaf pan and pour off the fat as soon as I take it out of the oven. Then I make gravy with it, as nature intended, and serve it over the mashed potatoes 😉 Easy peasy, yummy dinner and no waste! 😁

Btw, paper and fat break down but foil doesn't.

I make meatloaf in my loaf pan and pour off the fat as soon as I take it out of the oven. Then I make gravy with it, as nature intended, and serve it over the mashed potatoes 😉 Easy peasy, yummy dinner and no waste! 😁

Btw, paper and fat break down but foil doesn't.
And I'm not going to stand there scrubbing baked/burned on grease. :)

I don't make gravy for meatloaf because mine is moist so doesn't really need it, besides I like the taste of the glaze I use, and I can take or definitely leave gravy on mashed potatoes. If Craig wants gravy, he knows he has to make it because I won't.

And I'm not going to stand there scrubbing baked/burned on grease. :)
Neither do I! I make the dinner and DH cleans up! 😁
I don't make gravy for meatloaf because mine is moist so doesn't really need it, besides I like the taste of the glaze I use, and I can take or definitely leave gravy on mashed potatoes. If Craig wants gravy, he knows he has to make it because I won't.
My meatloaf doesn't need it, either, and I don't make it for the meatloaf.

I prefer some kind of gravy on mashed potatoes. I usually only make them with a roast for that reason.

I've never made gravy for meatloaf. I just like the sweet ketchupy type topping on meatloaf. But certainly it would be good to have for the mashed potatoes.

I'm also not crazy about Italian meatloaf although I can certainly eat it. I know some restaurants used to put some kind of Italian sauce with some peppers for the topping and I just scraped that off and put ketchup.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom