If you were doing vegan…

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I suppose it would depend on how the cream was being used. 🤔

A version of cashew cream might work in some things.

or maybe coconut cream.

@Aunt Bea - yes, I had thought about cashew cream, but I’m thinking of cream pasta dishes, so I’m worried about the nut flavour there.
Although, I suppose that vegan guests would already know that they are getting nuts.
LOL - back in the day, in the restaurant, there were no vegan guests, and every single vegetarian guest had their choice of vegetable stack or hunger 🤣

@Aunt Bea - yes, I had thought about cashew cream, but I’m thinking of cream pasta dishes, so I’m worried about the nut flavour there.
Although, I suppose that vegan guests would already know that they are getting nuts.
LOL - back in the day, in the restaurant, there were no vegan guests, and every single vegetarian guest had their choice of vegetable stack or hunger 🤣
I would try to let go the idea of adapting a dairy recipe and focus on creating a vegan recipe.

I like the idea of making a creamy sauce highlighting a puréed vegetable.

Spinach, peas, carrots would all be good.

Let us know what you come up with.

I've tried a bunch of creamy textured vegan sauces for mac and no-cheeze sauce.
This one uses zucchini and potato: This one uses carrot, onion, potato with either white beans or cashews: https://eatplant-based.com/creamy-vegan-cheese-sauce/
This one uses red peppers and oatmeal as the thickener: https://www.forksoverknives.com/recipes/vegan-sauces-condiments/vegan-queso-sauce/ (and it is one of our top favorites)

Those above are all an orange color. If you want something white then you'll have to use white veggies or grains. Onion/potato/nuts/oatmeal/potato flour/cauliflower/white beans/soy beans....you can adapt to those, and leave out any turmeric (usually used for color).

This one is made from milk (plant milk) and white beans:

What would be an appropriate swap out for cream?
For a pasta dish you could make a veloute with a vegetable stock and add a little nutritional yeast for flavor an umami, it needed for a particular dish. Variations are endless when a veg and or starch is added to the veloute and put through a vitamix then strained. Of course if it's for a dessert/pastry then that's a different mountain to climb for the precious ones :brows: just kidding.

Last edited:
The cashew cream works out well texture - wise. You wont have that 'dairy' taste or smell, but it definitely is a good substitute. Many vegan Indian dishes I make call for soak cashews, which ultimately get blended into the sauce, creating a nice creamy texture. Its a bland nut, so you really dont get a 'nut' taste.

Coconut cream also adds the texture, but adds the coconut flavor.

I've made a cherry tomato/ pesto from Lidia Bastianich which calls for almonds, basically the same as the cashews, adds a creaminess.

Aunt Bea's link to cashew cream is a nice basic cashew cream sauce. I've done many similar versions. The basic cashew cream is fine, for the cheesy one I prefer miso instead of lemon juice.

You can try vegan plain yogurt. but that will add a tanginess to it. I prefer the 'Forager ' brand, as the others are slightly sweet.

Ive been vegetarian for 35 years , my wife vegan for the past 5 or so. I do all the cooking, and modify every vegetarian dish we used to eat, to vegan. I've come across this cream issue a lot.

When I make a 'cream' based pasta dish, Ill make a cashew cream as a base, many times I'll grate some vegan parmesan cheese ( Violife) along with some nutritional yeast too give it a cream - cheese kind of flavor. Watch the vegan milks you may use as a base. Make sure no sweeteners or flavors ( like vanilla ) added. It's easy to grab the wrong one, by mistake, and that can totally mess up the dish. Some, like soy milk, just has a weird taste for me in savory dishes. For savory, I prefer cashew or Oat milks. Shake them well before using.

***Vegan cheese melt differently than regular cheeses. Some dont really melt at all leaving a lump texture***

- No matter what any recipe says, soak the cashews prior to blending. I prefer hot water and for at least an hour. If not soaked you may wind up with a grainy texture.

- Make sure your using raw cashews , not roasted

- Also, cashews can be expensive. Its ok to by the pieces as opposed to whole, as they will likely be cheaper. They get blended up, so who cares.

Have you thought of rice?
It actually gets quite creamy if boiled for long, with lots of water.

I do this sometimes with left over cooked rice (don't use basmati or par boiled) and make it into bubur/boeboer (sort of crosd between rice porridge and soup, tasting a lot better than the name implies)

I use a recipe that has rice in it, to bulk it up, mostly thickened with tapioca flour (which gives it a melty mozzeralla type stringyness).
Mozzerella type white cheese.

• 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
  • ½ cup cooked white rice (cold)
  • 5 Tbs tapioca flour (divided)
  • 1 Tbs white miso
  • 1 Tbs lemon juice
  • 1 Tbs nutritional yeast
  • 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
  • ¼ tsp garlic powder
I usually use it on pizza. A friend gave me a lead on this recipe: https://www.brandnewvegan.com/recipes/most-popular-recipes/oil-free-vegan-pan-pizza

Last edited:
- No matter what any recipe says, soak the cashews prior to blending. I prefer hot water and for at least an hour. If not soaked you may wind up with a grainy texture.

- Make sure your using raw cashews , not roasted

- Also, cashews can be expensive. Its ok to by the pieces as opposed to whole, as they will likely be cheaper. They get blended up, so who cares.
Good point in making sauces with the RAW cashews. And the soaking.
I use walnuts/sunflower kernels/pepetas (hulless squash/pumpkin seeds)/and sesame seeds. They also are smoother if they are soaked in hot water. We use this method for salad dressing occasionally.
We buy almond or soy milk occasionally.

If they're roasted or toasted, they will definitely have that ' nutty' flavor. Which is ok if thats what you're looking for, But I find the roasted / toasted nut don't break down as easily, when blended ( and I have a vitamin, which is an animal), so the sauce could be a little gritty.

If they're roasted or toasted, they will definitely have that ' nutty' flavor. Which is ok if thats what you're looking for, But I find the roasted / toasted nut don't break down as easily, when blended ( and I have a vitamin, which is an animal), so the sauce could be a little gritty.
I'm using an oster blender, which is a pacifist compared to the animal you are using. lol

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom