In the Category of What the Heck?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
K-girl, maybe see if it wipes off. If it does, then try a bit of bleach and see if it comes back. Alternatively, put a bit of vinegar in one tank, when it is likely to have a chance to sit unflushed for a while, in case it's a mineral buildup.

https://www.ci.desoto.tx.us/DocumentCenter/View/11555/Homeowners-
Guide-to-Stains-Rings-Discoloration-and-Mineral-Deposits

Customers have asked us why there is a pink ring in their toilet bowl or evidence of the
pink discoloration elsewhere and what can they do to get rid of it . Often they are
concerned that something must be in the water which is not the case and nothing to
fear. However, the pink ring that develops at the water line in the toilet , around drains , in
the tub/shower area , in bathroom drinking cups, and even dog bowls is actually caused
by airborne bacteria known as Serratia Marcescens . The airborne bacteria thrive in
moist environments , which is why it is commonly found in bathrooms.

I know there are certain bacteria that are more likely with high rust areas (which is where I live).....but I found that article on pink.

I had very high rust - a pinky orange colour on the farm. The only thing that would clear it away was a bleach that was a wicked high percentage. I don't remember what it was or called, left what I had for the new owners. I bought it at our local co-op, but pretty sure I've seen it at the hardware. It is usually used in institutes/bars/etc.

Are your whites not coming as white as they used to? Might want to watch for that as well.

Thanks for all the comments guys ... I do think it is that Serr ... whatnot, but the plumber advised me not to but bleach or vinegar in the tank ... it ruins the "guts" of the toilet very quickly here with the very hard water... I've replace the "guts" 3 times in 6 years, learned my lesson with that one.

What about those toilet cleaning tablets you put in the tank and it turns the water blue? Those would probably kill any micro-organisms. Would those be okay for the guts of your toilet.

The stuff I was referring to is a bowl cleaner. Not something you put in the tank.

I would also put a couple of drops on some paper towels and wipe the rim of the drain in the sink and the shower. Took all the stains off in one wipe. For the toilet bowl, I would empty the water, squirt the bleach around the top edge of the bowl, then pick-up the puddle at the bottom with some paper towel and wipe it around... boom... done.

Take off plastic gloves by folding inside-out with the wad of paper inside and chuck it in the garbage.

My biggest worry was keeping the door shut and keep the lid down for 24 hrs so the cats nor dogs would go in there. Even tho they always had fresh water in their bowl for some reason they liked their water in white porcelain instead of shiny stainless steel. :ermm: :rolleyes:

What about those toilet cleaning tablets you put in the tank and it turns the water blue? Those would probably kill any micro-organisms. Would those be okay for the guts of your toilet.

Nope. The plumber said not to put that stuff in the tank.

The stuff I was referring to is a bowl cleaner. Not something you put in the tank.

I would also put a couple of drops on some paper towels and wipe the rim of the drain in the sink and the shower. Took all the stains off in one wipe. For the toilet bowl, I would empty the water, squirt the bleach around the top edge of the bowl, then pick-up the puddle at the bottom with some paper towel and wipe it around... boom... done.

Take off plastic gloves by folding inside-out with the wad of paper inside and chuck it in the garbage.

My biggest worry was keeping the door shut and keep the lid down for 24 hrs so the cats nor dogs would go in there. Even tho they always had fresh water in their bowl for some reason they liked their water in white porcelain instead of shiny stainless steel. :ermm: :rolleyes:

BAHAHAHA!
Dragn, you slay me!
I just use regular bowl cleaners and it's gone, I was curious as to why we never had that in Hawaii.

BAHAHAHA!
Dragn, you slay me!
I just use regular bowl cleaners and it's gone, I was curious as to why we never had that in Hawaii.

Harumph... as long as you don't call me DragnSlayer we'll get along just fine, elsewise I become the Dragn that Slays.

Sorry, thought you were have a problem with a stuborn stain. I had such a high mineral and sulphur water it was ridiculous. Regular cleaners and certainly not CLR would do a durn thing.

At one time, through a bunch of stupid coincidents, I was without a water softner for over 2 weeks. During that time all whites washed came out yellow. I still have some tea towels that are discoloured. :mad::mad:

Harumph... as long as you don't call me DragnSlayer we'll get along just fine, elsewise I become the Dragn that Slays.

Sorry, thought you were have a problem with a stuborn stain. I had such a high mineral and sulphur water it was ridiculous. Regular cleaners and certainly not CLR would do a durn thing.

At one time, through a bunch of stupid coincidents, I was without a water softner for over 2 weeks. During that time all whites washed came out yellow. I still have some tea towels that are discoloured. :mad::mad:

We have a water softener installed and, knock wood for good luck, it's still going strong after 6 years in this house.
I have noticed that my whites are very dingy looking, not yellowed, but a gray-ish color, even though I use Oxy-Clean with each load :ermm:

I also put a product called Rust BeGone (about 1/4 cup of the powder) into the water softner each time I put in the salt. Try that?

Looked that name up and that not it. Going to the Hardware store tomorrow (I think) so I'll see if they have it and take a picture, especially of the ingredients.

Citric Acid does wonders for the laundry...and other stains and build up too. As does a whole house filter BEFORE the Soft Water unit. The whole house filter we have has a simple filter that we change once a year for about 10 bucks...(probably more, these days). We too have the stuff in the air problem with the toilets, but even they are a lot less with the whole house filter.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom